User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User bonjourdel
(newbie) Mon 10-Nov-14 04:48:57
Print Post

Moving from Sky Fibre to BT Infinity 2

[link to this post]

Hi

I wonder if anyone can help me.

I am moving from Sky Fibre to BT Infinity 2 and my activation date is today (10 November). I have had Sky Fibre for quite a while and my installation involved an engineer fitting a separate openreach box next to my master socket. I also have a Sky router. So at the moment, the openreach box plugs into my master socket and the sky router plugs into the openreach box.

Am I correct in thinking that the BT homehub 5 does the job of 'both' boxes? ie. Do I just connect the Bt homehub direct to my master socket and ignore the openreach box on the wall? This is what I think I do but I am not sure?

Thank you for any advice/help.

James
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Mon 10-Nov-14 08:15:05
Print Post

Re: Moving from Sky Fibre to BT Infinity 2

[re: bonjourdel] [link to this post]

Yes, just unplug the cable from the existing Openreach modem amd plug into the new HH5.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 10-Nov-14 08:26:23
Print Post

Alternatively you can replace just the sky router with the Homehub 5 and plug it into the Openreach modem using the red WAN socket.

____________________________________________________________________________All_Quiet_on_the_Western_Front__________________

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User bonjourdel
(newbie) Mon 10-Nov-14 08:42:18
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Thank you both for the advice.

If I connect the bt homehub directly to the master socket and ignore the openreach box, which connection do I use on the homehub?

Lastly, should it matter which way I connect in terms of speed? Is one way better than the other? My gut instinct is to connect the bt homehub directly.

Thanks again.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 10-Nov-14 09:31:26
Print Post

The DSL socket (grey I believe)

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User bonjourdel
(newbie) Mon 10-Nov-14 18:30:26
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks again for your help.

I am all installed now and it seems to be working well.

My download speed is currently about 52Mbps despite the homehub connecting at about 78Mbps. However, this speed may increase over the first few days I guess. Also, the slow speed could be due to my powerline adapters or ageing computer I guess.
Standard User george1976
(newbie) Mon 10-Nov-14 20:26:00
Print Post

Try not to test your speed over a wireless connection. Also if you have a long Ethernet cable from your computer to the hub expect a small reduction of your speeds. My hub sync speeds are 79600/19999 and I can test 75down and 18,5 up. Also I couldn't get my Ethernet cable to fit the dsl socket on the back of the hub and I just crimped some rj11 crimps on one pair of wires from the Ethernet cable.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 10-Nov-14 22:16:02
Print Post

Likely to be homeplug limit unless you have the latest fastest plugs

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 10-Nov-14 22:21:01
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

But odd if it was ok on Sky fibre...

____________________________________________________________________________All_Quiet_on_the_Western_Front__________________
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 10-Nov-14 22:23:37
Print Post

If the HomeHub is connecting at 78Mbps it isn't going to get any faster. The speed loss is between you and it.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.4/14.5Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

"Angels can fly because they can take themselves lightly." - G K Chesterton.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to