User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User mikeb40
(newbie) Fri 14-Nov-14 09:18:26
Print Post

Infinity confusion

[link to this post]

I currently have a BT Broadband connection of around 1.5 Mb, it used to be 2.5 Mb before the cabinet went live. The cabinet in my village has recently been upgraded to fibre and Infinity is available to order for almost all other addresses except those in my Close. The cabinet is located at the entrance of the Close less than 200 meters by road away.

The BT Checker tells me I'm connected to cabinet E1 on the Kemble Exchange, but I can only get ASDL and a query to Fastershire also confirmed this. Openreach say that my cabinet is accepting orders.

I did speak to an Openreach engineer who was at the cabinet the other day and they said as I'm over 5km from the exchange it would be highly unlikely that my line would be connected directly to the exchange. Fastershire also mentioned that I may be too far away from the cabinet to get Infinity. I thought this strange as I'm only 200 meters by road away and the address less than 10 meters away in the same close can't get it either.

However when I contact BT to order I get told Infinity is not available and the cabinet is unknown and must be connected directly to the exchange. When I ask them if they could check the cabinet I just get told we can't send an engineer and you can't have Infinity. Other ISP's give me the same story.

Does anyone have any advice on how to progress this. I guess all it needs is for an engineer to check my line is indeed connected to the cabinet and for BT to update their details.

Many thanks
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 14-Nov-14 10:17:12
Print Post

Re: Infinity confusion

[re: mikeb40] [link to this post]

Next time a BT Tech is there, ask him nicely. He may be able to demonstrate/check if you go through the cabinet. If he has time, he can put a tone generator on your line and then listen at the cabinet to find it - if there.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 14-Nov-14 10:59:17
Print Post

Address 2 SCHOOL ROW, COATES, CIRENCESTER, GL7 6NL on Exchange KEMBLE is served by Cabinet E1

Shows available and ready to order
https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

The question really is what is the full address and check with that rather than just the postcode. reason being some postcodes on E1 are split between different areas. So at the level the county projects often look you may appear to be served but are not.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 14-Nov-14 13:13:40
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

What are "E" cabinet numbers please Andrew?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.4/14.5Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

"Angels can fly because they can take themselves lightly." - G K Chesterton.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 14-Nov-14 13:16:09
Print Post

Was it this checker you used, with your phone number? Have you tried the Full Address option?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.4/14.5Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 14-Nov-14 15:50:17
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Don't know the full explanation, but they can sometimes show up as PE1, there also some areas with really odd cabinet numbers e.g. 112 when there are only 7 cabs on the exchange.

At a guess they are areas that many years ago were EO and PE1 was the number format chosen for them. Now when areas get new EO cabinets they tend to just be given the next sequential number.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 14-Nov-14 15:51:12
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

If it was 111 on a 7 cab exchange then it could have been binary? wink
Standard User mikeb40
(newbie) Fri 14-Nov-14 16:56:16
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Yep, that was the checker I used. I've tried both phone number and full address with the same results.

Address nn MAY TREE CLOSE, COATES, CIRENCESTER, GL7 6NQ on Exchange KEMBLE is served by Cabinet E1.
ASDL Max available at 0.75-2.5 Mb downstream range

I wonder which checker BT Sales use as it comes back with cabinet unknown?

Edited by mikeb40 (Fri 14-Nov-14 17:43:57)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 14-Nov-14 17:25:29
Print Post

Best to remove that address. Google crawls this place so you could end up with loads of snail-spam.

Edit - I've just checked three addresses in that close and they are all the same. (There's a trick - in the full address checker, just enter the postcode, and you get an address selector. Choose one, submit, back button in your browser, select another).

Edited by RobertoS (Fri 14-Nov-14 17:30:00)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 14-Nov-14 17:59:07
Print Post

Have just sent an email with details to request Openreach to take a look and fix what looks to be an error.

Properties very close to May Tree Close can get the full 80 Mbps so not a sign of line length being the issue. Seems to affect all 34 properties too.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to