User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User bowdon
(member) Tue 25-Nov-14 11:08:28
Print Post

Error - site blocked.

[link to this post]

I'm assuming that the message "Error - site blocked" means that BT have blocked a website I visit?

I guess its my Welcome to big brother moment!

Demon => Freeserve => Pipex => Be => Sky => BT Infinity 2
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 25-Nov-14 11:30:17
Print Post

Re: Error - site blocked.

[re: bowdon] [link to this post]

Might have been added to the IWF block list for some reason. If the site is fine it may have been in error in which case contact BT - if the site hosts some content which is illegal then it may have been blocked for parts of the site. Or it could have been a court order.

Assume you have checked your parental filter is switched off? It may be that they have turned it on for your account for some reason and may just need you to turn it off.
Standard User scopio
(committed) Tue 25-Nov-14 12:09:01
Print Post

You are quite right. It happened to me when I visited a frieand whose ISP is BT and I tried to go to a web site I visit, but when I'm at home with no problems as I am with a different ISP. So the only conclusion I can come up with is that BT has blocked the said web site.

PC Full Tower - Self Build OS Windows 7 64bit Laptop Dell Inspiron 1545 - OS Windows 8 Home Premium 32bit Stardock8
ISP was O2 All Rounder now PlusNet Unlimited Broadband SamKnows Whitebox connected on 14:02:2013
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/13669...
http://speedtest.net/result/2668600210.png

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 25-Nov-14 13:49:20
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

IWF block list should not usually give a blocked page, but the parental controls systems will give a positive blocked page.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 25-Nov-14 13:52:38
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks. Obviously I don't visit any blocked sites so didn't know what happened if you did wink
Standard User bowdon
(member) Tue 25-Nov-14 14:14:28
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

It seems to be a BT blocked page. I've noticed on facebook others have had a similar experience.

I'd say its been blocked for copyrighted material, though like torrent sites, they don't host anything themselves.

I don't use the site myself but a friend asked me to test to see if I could reach it.

I think 99% of pirating would disappear if these silly national geo-locked deals disappeared and they started releasing or allowing legal access to view any programme in the world via the internet. Similar to like hulu and other sites do.

Demon => Freeserve => Pipex => Be => Sky => BT Infinity 2
Standard User NUTTER44444
(committed) Tue 25-Nov-14 14:51:10
Print Post

Annoys me the error site blocked message. More annoying the fact that how inefective it is and how easily virtually it can be worked around kind of makes the IWF URL list almost useless but ho hum
Standard User Rastus
(experienced) Tue 25-Nov-14 15:15:10
Print Post

In reply to a post by bowdon:
It seems to be a BT blocked page. I've noticed on facebook others have had a similar experience.

I'd say its been blocked for copyrighted material, though like torrent sites, they don't host anything themselves.

I don't use the site myself but a friend asked me to test to see if I could reach it.

I think 99% of pirating would disappear if these silly national geo-locked deals disappeared and they started releasing or allowing legal access to view any programme in the world via the internet. Similar to like hulu and other sites do.

Sites such as thepiratebay can easily be accessed simply by using the IP address (that one in particular can be found by Googling).
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 25-Nov-14 15:30:39
Print Post

Have you checked that the parental filter is disabled?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 25-Nov-14 16:11:39
Print Post

[re: NUTTER44444] [link to this post]

IWF block list is NOT about pirated content. IWF is about content that is clearly illegal and would see you in jail if found in possession.

The blocked message the user is posting about sounds like the civil case of a supposed copyright infringing or encouraging website being blocked due to a court order.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to