User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ayeaye
(newbie) Thu 11-Dec-14 10:20:16
Print Post

Re: DNS, Routing, Issue

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

I'm not convinced it's DNS - for example, I was on another site (Overclockers forums), went to reply to a post and got a "Page could not be displayed" error briefly then the page loaded after about 10 - 15 seconds of Chrome sitting with "Connecting..." in bottom left.

So I'm already on the site so shouldn't be doing more DNS lookups as the site should be in my local cache on PC, given I had browsed to it earlier.
Standard User John_ON
(knowledge is power) Thu 11-Dec-14 10:32:50
Print Post

[re: ayeaye] [link to this post]

From what I can gather reading the BT forum, it's not a DNS issue as such. Rather the traffic is being "inspected" before it even gets that far. Popular opinion is that the equipment they're using is either mis-configured or simply isn't fast enough to cope with demand.

BT is the first ISP I've used that doesn't have a particularly transparent "relationship" with its customers. They're reluctant to make the mistake other ISPs make and admit that there is, indeed, an issue because that then puts the ball firmly in their court .

By being in denial, they're in no particular rush to fix it although, hopefully, they will fix it.

John.

RouterStatsHub Beta Line monitoring tool for the Home Hub 3

ISP:BT (Infinity 1 - 37.6/8.4Mbps)
Standard User mp90
(newbie) Thu 11-Dec-14 19:31:23
Print Post

[re: John_ON] [link to this post]

I've been having these issues on BT Infinity 2 for the last few days.

I changed my router's DNS setting to use Google's DNS servers and the symptoms are the same. General download speed is fine, speedtests are normal as is ping. However when browsing, some websites stop loading and I get page can not be found errors, do a refresh and it loads fine.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User _Resonance_
(regular) Fri 12-Dec-14 01:08:28
Print Post

I'm having the same problems as described in the BT thread. Been bad for a few days. Changing DNS makes no difference.

BT Infinity 1 Unlimited
Standard User ansam
(regular) Fri 12-Dec-14 07:31:23
Print Post

[re: _Resonance_] [link to this post]

Hello,

Yes indeed still seems to be ongoing, I have had the issue for the last 3/4 days.

Regards,
Sam
Standard User Alnath
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 12-Dec-14 11:30:05
Print Post

Online gaming is now impossible for me, i cant stay connected to the Playstation Network, i cant use Netflix normally, webpages are slow or wont load until i refresh, YouView is a no go.

I noticed it on Monday but that said i was away in Scotland over the weekend so it could have started then.
Standard User _Resonance_
(regular) Fri 12-Dec-14 11:56:38
Print Post

[re: ansam] [link to this post]

It's at least showing on BT's status page now

https://www.bt.com/consumerFaultTracking/public/faul...

Estimated time to resolve: 14:00

We are aware of an issue, which is causing some customers to experience intermittent issues when attempting to load web pages.

We are sorry for any inconvenience caused and we are working to fix the problem

Fingers crossed for a 2pm fix then.

BT Infinity 1 Unlimited

Edited by _Resonance_ (Fri 12-Dec-14 11:57:24)

Standard User John_ON
(knowledge is power) Fri 12-Dec-14 11:59:22
Print Post

BT have finally acknowledged there is a problem on their Status Page. Intermittent issues when loading webpages.

It also mentions problems on the TV Status Page so, hopefully, they're aware that the problem is affecting everything.

John.

RouterStatsHub Beta Line monitoring tool for the Home Hub 3

ISP:BT (Infinity 1 - 37.6/8.4Mbps)
Standard User AkAnic
(member) Fri 12-Dec-14 14:42:46
Print Post

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/12/12/bt_infinity_...
Standard User meditator
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 13-Dec-14 12:43:37
Print Post

[re: AkAnic] [link to this post]

Thought I'd add my pennyworth.

Could this be nothing whatsoever to do with DNS or routing but possibly something to do with the browser that's being used? I myself have been having 'slow resolving to screen' problems of late, including many occasions when the resolving would fail completely, and after meticulous checking of my router settings, DNS etc., I could still find nothing wrong. This very website, for example, would - and still does - load very slowly, despite it being fast and zippy up until about a month ago.

But then when I finally switched temporarily to a different computer of mine - a Windows machine running IE8 - on the same home network, the issue was not there. With my main machine being a Mac, running Safari, the only conclusion I could draw was that it was Safari that was the problem. It looked like the last update to Safari had clobbered it in this respect, and I'm now stuck with the problem until Apple does something about it.

Nothing has been mentioned so far in this thread of the browsers being used, but I do wonder therefore whether if some comparisons were made we'd find that the slow resolving issue is tending to occur on machines running Safari rather than any other browser. Certainly, in recent weeks many people on the Mac forums at apple.com have been complaining about the self same symptoms.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to