User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User steve80uk
(newbie) Fri 12-Dec-14 14:39:31
Print Post

Infinity 2 installed - slower than expected

[link to this post]

I had bt infinity 2 'installed' today.. i had an old plain master socket with no test socket - he was reluctant to change it, but he eventually replaced the faceplate - moaning that it wasnt compatible and the screws where the wrong length. Unfortunately only after he left i realised it was wobbly, and it comes away from the wall on one side about half a centimeter when taking the phone cable out etc

He couldnt get a mobile signal on his little ipad thingy, so said he couldnt tell me if i was getting the right speed.

The BT speed estimater, give me an estimate from 60- upto max speed. Previously on adsl2 i would sync at 15mb and get about 13mb download 1mb up.
Ive run a few speed tests on the bt wholesale site and here.. and the speed varies abit from 41mb download to 51mb.. and upload from 20mb to 13mb.

I was expecting a bit more.. am i being realistic?

these are the only stats i could see on the HH5, do they look ok?

6. Data rate: 19999 / 79995
7. Maximum data rate: 27802 / 90516
8. Noise margin: 15.5 / 8.8
9. Line attenuation: 0.0 / 17.0
10. Signal attenuation: 0.0 / 17.0
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 12-Dec-14 15:49:51
Print Post

Re: Infinity 2 installed - slower than expected

[re: steve80uk] [link to this post]

Stats look OK but the throughput is rubbish. Unless those are wireless speeds, not Ethernet.

Was it a sub-contractor or an Openreach guy, because that sounds like a complete bodge. An uploaded photo of the socket would be interesting.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.4/14.5Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

"Angels can fly because they can take themselves lightly." - G K Chesterton.
Standard User TheEulerID
(regular) Fri 12-Dec-14 17:17:30
Print Post

There is something very wrong there. It's also unacceptable that the socket was poorly fixed. The downstream attenuation is reasonably good, and I'd expect a sync speed of 60mbps or better. As you are paying for Infinity 2 and getting sub Infinity 1 speeds, contact BT as they you are paying for something you are not getting.
I had a problem whereby speed dropped to something around 32Mbps and an engineer came out an sorted it out (balance problems). It took him over 2 hours, but it was back up to over 57mbps at 21.3 dB attenuation.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 12-Dec-14 18:05:05
Print Post

[re: TheEulerID] [link to this post]

Sync's are 79995/19999.

If he is testing throughput wirelessly, or using under 200Mbps Homeplugs, there may be nothing wrong with that either.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.4/14.5Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

Standard User steve80uk
(newbie) Fri 12-Dec-14 18:33:27
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

The socket is now sorted, my Dad got some proper sized screws, the screws the engineer used were too narrow and he had wrapped them in plastic and shoved them in! Its now solidly attached to the wall.

Seems the speed issue was me.. oops. i was testing using home plugs.. i didnt even think about them as they have been so reliable. They are tp link av500 ones but they dont seem to be giving the max speed - i used the software to reset them and im now getting about 52mb through them.. and wireless i get about 40mb. The plugs show they have connected at 111Mb/s so not sure why i dont get the full speed.

I tried my laptop wired to the router and i get 66mb down and 13mb up(18mb up on this sites tester).. which is much more like i was expecting.

So thanks all for the help and replies.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 12-Dec-14 18:39:05
Print Post

Try again late this evening. When you do it, have Task Manager open and nature the Networking graph. Host an images somewhere and provide s link to that and the TBB test.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 12-Dec-14 19:13:02
Print Post

The speed quoted for the av plugs is link speed so actual data throughput will always be lower

For best speeds ethernet cable is the way to go

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 12-Dec-14 19:24:38
Print Post

Does the socket now look like the one on this page? If so, he must have fitted a new NTE5 master with a test socket.

Standard User steve80uk
(newbie) Fri 12-Dec-14 19:58:26
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

yes, similar.. it has openreach MK3 on it. The socket is fine now, now that its secured with proper fitting screws.
Standard User steve80uk
(newbie) Fri 12-Dec-14 20:01:30
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

i think this is what you meant.. http://imgur.com/wIE3IPZ
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to