User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User geesus1977
(newbie) Fri 19-Dec-14 20:27:43
Print Post

Self-install now *not* a Self-install? Or...is it?

[link to this post]

Hi,

I'm currently in the process of switching to Infinity 1, and every step of the way, I have been informed that I would not need an engineer and that I would merely install myself. Flash-forward a few weeks to today, and my box has arrived - so far so good.

However tonight, I had a pre-recorded message left on my answer machine, telling me an engineer would need access to my property on my installation date! This is only a few days away, and nobody will be home, as all members of the house work and I can't arrange time off at such short notice.

I rang the number to check, and the order progress AGAIN says that an engineer will NOT need access to my property - arghhhhh!

So I guess my question is, which message is correct? I always was under the impression that Infinity 1 installs were no longer carried out by engineers?

Any advice much appreciated on how to proceed. Thanks.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 19-Dec-14 20:37:58
Print Post

Re: Self-install now *not* a Self-install? Or...is it?

[re: geesus1977] [link to this post]

Is it FTTC or FTTP? FTTP always requires access.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 57.1/14.8Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

"Angels can fly because they can take themselves lightly." - G K Chesterton.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 19-Dec-14 21:16:12
Print Post

It *may* be that there is a fault on your line, the engineers sometimes get an appointment to install FTTC and fix the line fault on the same visit.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User geesus1977
(newbie) Fri 19-Dec-14 21:32:09
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

I'm beginning to think that BT just don't know what they are doing, as I was sent 3 reminders for my PAC within minutes of placing my order as I recall, so something about their automated system seems a bit screwy.

I don't think there can be a fault on my line, as my connection before was flawless - it's a second line, and was always maxed out, with no drops and low line noise.

If nobody is here when the engineer calls, will he still do the work at the cabinet?
Standard User tonteg
(member) Fri 19-Dec-14 22:01:23
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Had Bt Inf 1 installed this past Wednesday. All through was informed that Engineer needed access to fit new faceplate. McQuinn engineer turns up at the appointed time and fitted new Line Box after going to Cabinet to switch connector. Excellent service he explained all, all working well.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 20-Dec-14 00:01:14
Print Post

If nobody is here when the engineer calls, will he still do the work at the cabinet?

Not if there's an activity to fit a modem, or managed installs attached to the task, no.

Standard User geesus1977
(newbie) Sat 20-Dec-14 03:45:20
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Thanks guys. I'm really not impressed then, as telling me they will now require access a few days before is not good enough in my opinion, especially when for weeks now, they have been saying no access will be required. I still don't understand why I've had an automated phonecall telling me an engineer will call and yet my order tracking says one isn't needed!
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 20-Dec-14 11:24:20
Print Post

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/bt/t/4378344-self-i...

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 57.1/14.8Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

"Angels can fly because they can take themselves lightly." - G K Chesterton.
Standard User tonteg
(member) Sat 20-Dec-14 12:09:11
Print Post

I assume you ordered Inf.1 by phone. Part of the online application for Inf 1 requires you to select date/time for the Engineer to attend. It is not possible to complete the application without doing this.
Standard User Fastman2
(member) Sat 20-Dec-14 17:13:51
Print Post

[re: tonteg] [link to this post]

some service prvodiers offer no engineering visti and not faceplace change - which is why the whollesale checker offers a clean an impacted line speed-- so you could poor intetenal wiring that needed tidying at the faceplace thiat wont happen if you a self install so you would expect only to see an impacted line servce speed
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to