User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 01-Jan-15 13:43:51
Print Post

BT Openzone and new energy rules?

[link to this post]

How will this work?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-30643357

Surely homehubs will still need to be active 24/7 to keep this service running?

BT Infinity 1 (unlimited)
Standard User cheshire_man
(knowledge is power) Thu 01-Jan-15 13:59:54
Print Post

Re: BT Openzone and new energy rules?

[re: gomezz] [link to this post]

Presumably even a router can drop into a low power standby-like mode if it's not being used 'in anger'. I don't think the article says that devices have to actually be powered off.

I suppose it's an energy variation of "look after the pennies and the pounds will take care of themselves", i.e. nibble away at all devices, even low consumption ones, and gradually total consumption will reduce, or not rise as fast.

Tony
We have more and more laws, and less and less enforcement
Standard User TheEulerID
(member) Thu 01-Jan-15 16:09:51
Print Post

[re: gomezz] [link to this post]

The article is misleading when it says "switch off". I would anticipate a low power state which would do sufficient to keep things like DSL and WiFi connections alive whilst running in reduced processor power modes. ADSL2 also has low power modes which minimise power usage in standby modes (I don't think a VDSL has such a ratified mode at the moment as their are practical issues involved with higher frequencies and x-talk issues).

Here's one item on the subject of VDSL2 reduced power modes

http://www.ieee802.org/3/10GEPON_study/email/pdfV3ki...

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 01-Jan-15 16:34:13
Print Post

[re: TheEulerID] [link to this post]

Standby mode is the more appropriate phrase and savings will be small from routers as generally lot lower power than BBC article suggests

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 01-Jan-15 17:00:10
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Surprising really.

My Openreach modem is rated 12v 1A which means over 12W once we allow for losses in the power plug, and my ASUS RT-N66U router is 19v 1.58A = 30W.

Though those must be peak rates, so resting will be much lower.

If they really do mean a "sleep" mode, along the lines of a modem only sync'ing on demand as we used to have on dialup, the two BT DLM's are going to need tweaking more than somewhat. Losing the PPP session frequently could also be a mess, even if only the router goes to sleep.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 57.1/14.8Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

"Angels can fly because they can take themselves lightly." - G K Chesterton.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 01-Jan-15 18:11:54
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Low power modes to keep vdsl2 link exist and dual core devices could go into standby or underclock cpu .

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to