User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User OnFire
(learned) Fri 02-Jan-15 10:06:03
Print Post

BT Cloud software on Windows PC

[link to this post]

Before I activate BT Cloud and start using it on my Windows PC, please could somebody tell me what is the software like? Is it really naff, full of bugs, slow, and generally not worth bothering? Should I just stick with Google Drive and Microsoft OneDrive? Or is BT Cloud actually quite decent?
Many thanks for any help.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Fri 02-Jan-15 10:20:36
Print Post

Re: BT Cloud software on Windows PC

[re: OnFire] [link to this post]

It's naff, really slow and if you don't use it for a few days, they delete everything you have on it. Sometimes they just delete everything anyway.
Also, they spy on what you put on there - just in case.

____________________________________________________________________________All_Quiet_on_the_Western_Front__________________
Standard User StephenTodd
(experienced) Fri 02-Jan-15 11:22:48
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

I tried it for a time and it was slow and riddled with bugs. These included generating replication conflict errors in cases where such errors could not have occurred in the first place if there hadn't been bugs in the software. As a result, it was liable to delete both the cloud copy and the original of some documents; especially Microsoft Office documents because of the way they use file locking.

I think most of the bugs have been smoothed out and the speed improved, but I would never have felt comfortable with it.

Dropbox, Google Drive and Microsoft Drive (or whatever they call it this week) prices have dropped abruptly too since I tried BT Cloud. For most people the 50GB free is not quite right. If you only want to keep documents you will probably get enough free space from Dropbox, Google or Microsoft. If you want to store photos and videos you will probably find 50GB isn't enough.

--
Recently moved from BT Infinity 2 to PlusNet. Very happy so far.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 02-Jan-15 11:31:29
Print Post

[re: StephenTodd] [link to this post]

I have an Office 365 subscription these days which for £80 a year gives me 5 copies of MS office, mobile versions of MS Office and 60TB of storage. They also say the storage will become unlimited soon - which as far as I am concerned it already is as I am not going to be using even the 10TB on my primary account in a hurry (currently using about 300GB I think).
  Print Thread

Jump to