User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User NaNook
(freechataholic) Mon 05-Jan-15 11:18:58
Print Post

What to expect?

[link to this post]

Ordered infinity 2, install date 15 Jan, one of the first to be installed on this newly upgraded cab.

I did not have to speak to Sky at all (LLU), just ordered with BT then got a mail from Sky a few days later confirming my BB and phone cease on 15th, so all seems smooth there.

Got the ingineer coming on 15th, what will he be doing?

Surely I can just swap over routers and weyhey?

As an aside, I use an Airport Extreme for my WiFi so do not want the WiFi to be working on the BT Box. Is this easy to disable, will I get grief from the ingineer?
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 05-Jan-15 12:17:53
Print Post

Re: What to expect?

[re: NaNook] [link to this post]

You need a proper faceplate for Infinity, a SSFP.

The installer is unlikely to care about your router requirements, but you can always leave it until he's gone to keep it simple.

You could try asking him for an Openreach modem - he may have a spare.

____________________________________________________________________________All_Quiet_on_the_Western_Front__________________
Standard User NaNook
(freechataholic) Mon 05-Jan-15 12:40:26
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Ok so since I have no master socket (just the openreach grey thingy at the front door), I assume he will install the new faceplate at the closest extension, which happens to be where the current router is.

I have disconnected all other extensions within the house to help boost my speed on normal ADSL years ago.

Unfortunately it appears the internal wiring is aluminium alarm cable so not sure what he will make of that.

BT are sending me a home hub thingy, what is the difference between that and an openreach modem? Why would I want an openreach modem?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 05-Jan-15 12:40:43
Print Post

WiFi is easy to turn off - as BatBoy says let the engineer do the standard install and then disable the WiFi after he has gone. The homehub has a fairly simple interface for configuring WiFi.

If your Sky was previously FTTC as well then the engineer will do very little.

EDIT : Just seen your follow up post. If you have no master then he will fit a master socket with a faceplate splitter. Should take no more than about 10 minutes.

Edited by ian72 (Mon 05-Jan-15 12:42:05)

Standard User NaNook
(freechataholic) Mon 05-Jan-15 12:41:39
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

The Sky I have currently is just standard ADSL (2+ I think).
Standard User jroadley
(regular) Mon 05-Jan-15 13:13:54
Print Post

In reply to a post by NaNook:
As an aside, I use an Airport Extreme for my WiFi so do not want the WiFi to be working on the BT Box. Is this easy to disable, will I get grief from the ingineer?

I have the same setup, just let the engineer setup the HH5 for wifi, then logon to the hub - and disable both wifi channels. You'll get a orange light on the front of the hub, but that's fine as your AE will take over.
Standard User Stevenage_Neil
(committed) Mon 05-Jan-15 13:21:39
Print Post

[re: jroadley] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jroadley:
I have the same setup, just let the engineer setup the HH5 for wifi, then logon to the hub - and disable both wifi channels. You'll get a orange light on the front of the hub, but that's fine as your AE will take over.

........and bin your Sky modem/router.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Mon 05-Jan-15 13:38:13
Print Post

Is the cable from the "Grey Box" to the first extension accessible? If so, get it replaced with BT CW1308 or Cat5e otherwise you could have problems.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User NaNook
(freechataholic) Mon 05-Jan-15 13:39:28
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

It wouldn't be a straight swap but I can easily run some cat5 once the install is done.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 05-Jan-15 13:51:05
Print Post

Why not get the installer to do it? This is probably why you're getting an installer if your estimate is 80/20 but you have an external master.

____________________________________________________________________________All_Quiet_on_the_Western_Front__________________
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to