User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User bowdon
(member) Tue 06-Jan-15 10:30:16
Print Post

HH5 won't load up web interface.

[link to this post]

I tried to load up the web interface today, like I've done many times before, and now the interface won't load. It just says "Looking up" and the address.. then the standard firefox page that it can't load the page.

I think that the router rebooted last night, or might have done something. I'm still at the same speeds as I tested it on a download. But it is annoying that I can't get in to the web interface. I've NEVER had this happen on my previous router, yea it was slow sometimes but it seemed to recover itself.

So is there any command that can be typed at the command line to bring up stats and that kinda thing, or can it only be looked at through the browser? If so, what do you guys recommend I do? (besides changing routers)

Demon => Freeserve => Pipex => Be => Sky => BT Infinity 2
Standard User bowdon
(member) Tue 06-Jan-15 10:41:01
Print Post

Re: HH5 won't load up web interface.

[re: bowdon] [link to this post]

Just an update.. I figured out why I couldn't get in.

I'd recently changed the DNS server details on this computer to get a faster DNS. It seems if you use a DNS server thats NOT the default then you can't access the router!

It's kinda odd as the new DNS server ip addresses were also part of BT's network.

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 06-Jan-15 10:50:04
Print Post

Easiest is just to use the IP address of the router rather than the name. Can't remember with homehub but should be either http://192.168.0.1 or http://192.168.1.254.

Then the DNS doesn't matter.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Tue 06-Jan-15 12:05:02
Print Post

That's because the homehub itself resolves the http://bthomehub.home address. As you're not using the homehub as a DNS server, it doesn't work.

If you allocate (say) Google as your primary DNS 8.8.8.8 and you allocate the homehub as your secondary DNS 192.168.1.254 on your PC, it should work again.

____________________________________________________________________________All_Quiet_on_the_Western_Front__________________
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 06-Jan-15 13:44:03
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

If you put an entry in your hosts file (found in Windows as \WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts) you can give it a memorable name, e.g.

192.168.0.1 MyBTRouter

and you don't need to worry about the DNS.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 06-Jan-15 14:15:02
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

I know, but I don't need to as I always access routers via the IP address. However, the OP might be interested wink
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 06-Jan-15 14:24:16
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Yes, that was my intention. I only replied to your post as it gave guesses of the Hub's IP.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC

Edited by XRaySpeX (Tue 06-Jan-15 14:25:23)

Standard User bowdon
(member) Tue 06-Jan-15 15:37:49
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Thanks all for the replies.

I added the other dns server: 194.74.65.69 (which is called BT 41 GB according to namebench) as my first dns, then added the 192.168.1.254 homehub as the secondary dns. So if I go to my homehub via the ip it works.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 06-Jan-15 15:51:48
Print Post

Easier just to type 192.168.1.254 - Google will auto-complete or list if for you after a couple of times. Keep both your DNS possibilities for real.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 57.1/14.8Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

"Angels can fly because they can take themselves lightly." - G K Chesterton.
  Print Thread

Jump to