User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User trif
(newbie) Sat 10-Jan-15 02:09:30
Print Post

ADSL2?

[link to this post]

In the process of trying to work out why my line was faulty (turned out it was a faulty overhead cable and box a few 100 meters from my house) I ended up with a decent Draytek 2710 router.

Now the faulty line has been replaced (yesterday) I've been keeping a close eye on the speed and happened to notice my ADSL connection set as "G.DMT" which is apparently ADSL1?

I've tried manually setting all options of ADSL 2 and leaving it a few minutes but it never syncs

when put on "automatic" it ends up back on G.DMT,

dslchecker.bt.com shows:
WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 2 -- 1 to 3.5 Available

for interest, on g.dmt the router shows:

Up Speed
448000 bps
Down Speed
2784000 bps
SNR Margin
9 db
Loop Att.
55 db

What do I need to do to get ADSL 2 up and running?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 10-Jan-15 08:41:04
Print Post

Re: ADSL2?

[re: trif] [link to this post]

If on wbc service then needs ISP to request a dlm reset to let systems relearn the line

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User trif
(newbie) Sat 10-Jan-15 12:50:50
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

How will a dlm reset effect my line and service? and do I need to do anything with my router to make it pick up ADSL2 during the relearn? or can I just leave it on automatic?

Also which bit of BT broadband do I need to speak to or can I do it on the website?

Thanks,

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 10-Jan-15 13:15:29
Print Post

[re: trif] [link to this post]

The Bt_care people on twitter may be best bet

Dlm reset should allow systems to start from standard 6db noise margin. If on automatic it should be fine

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User PaulKirby
(member) Mon 12-Jan-15 03:40:00
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

They might be using an ADSL Max Line card at the exchange.

If you recall Andrew I was put on that by BT in August/September due to a shortage of spare ADSL2+ Line cards in the exchange, so we had to wait 2 to 3 weeks for one to become available, and sticking us on ADSL Max would get us at least some broadband while we wait.
So relearning the line may not work due to it may not be an ADSL2 + line card.

But what do I know tongue

p.s. you can use this link to contact BT Care: http://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact_email/c/4950

That's what I now always use when I have issues.

Paul

Edited by PaulKirby (Mon 12-Jan-15 03:42:40)

Print Thread

Jump to