User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User robmar0se
(regular) Tue 13-Jan-15 19:41:20
Print Post

Hub3 Infinity issues

[link to this post]

We have BT infinity with a hub3 acting as an access point.

We are experiencing real delays with broadband connections; this is for both ethernet and wireless connections. Once connected we get upto 27mbps which is fine. However after the PC boots it takes forever for connections to be made.

If we use the PC on another broadband line (using a billion router) we don't have the problem.

Looking at the network sharing centre we can see the delay in connecting to the hub3, then a further prolonged delay till the hub3 connects to the net via the BT openreach FTTC modem. Same as I say for both ethernet/wireless connections.

BT technical help say there is nothing wrong with the hub, and just say they will continue to monitor line speeds - I felt like shouting at them that the issue wasn't line speeds. Obviously the scripts that the Indian call centre uses can't handle this problem.

The issue would appear to be the handshake to/from the hub. BT technical help appear powerless to help - previously they would have just swapped out the hub, but not now.

Has anyone else experienced this change in attitude?

Our only solution appears to be switching ISPs!

Edited by robmar0se (Tue 13-Jan-15 19:45:11)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 13-Jan-15 20:40:17
Print Post

Re: Hub3 Infinity issues

[re: robmar0se] [link to this post]

Or stop using the hub and use your own hardware

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User robmar0se
(regular) Tue 13-Jan-15 22:22:34
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thank you Andrew. Yes that is an option, as is switching ISPs to a more cost effective supplier.

I was looking for advice/info on whether BT has changed its strategy - before they would offer a replacement as a matter of course. Now, however much I pushed the Indians there was no way I could see that their script would allow them to agree to this.

If indeed this is a change in BT's policy, then I guess we need to be aware of this.

Regards

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 14-Jan-15 09:21:17
Print Post

Are you out of contract? If so, it may be that calling for a MAC code and telling them it is because the homehub is broken that they may offer you a new hub and possibly a discount.
Standard User andysm
(member) Wed 21-Jan-15 16:30:03
Print Post

In reply to a post by robmar0se:
Looking at the network sharing centre we can see the delay in connecting to the hub3, then a further prolonged delay till the hub3 connects to the net via the BT openreach FTTC modem. Same as I say for both ethernet/wireless connections.

I don't understand this, do you turn the router and/or modem off when you are not using them?
Standard User robmar0se
(regular) Thu 22-Jan-15 01:01:58
Print Post

[re: andysm] [link to this post]

The answer is yes, whenever the PC and/or modem router is turned off, the TCP/IP protocols in order to re-connect have to go through a handshake mechanism to effect a connection. This would be between the PC and the router (step 1), and again between the router and the ISP (step 2).

In the case of this BT hub 3 installed, this process can take upto 5 minutes, whereas tested with a Billion modem router it is seconds. Ergo it is the hub 3 that is at fault - unfortunately our friends in India either couldn't grasp this, or more probably is not included on one of the scripts they use.
#
Hope thats more clear?
Standard User robmar0se
(regular) Thu 22-Jan-15 01:04:29
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Agreed, have done this in the past. I did intimate this during the lengthy call, but was probably speaking to the wrong person. Will probably request a MAC as you suggest.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 22-Jan-15 08:50:45
Print Post

There may be a setting on the hub 3 config pages for idle timeout disconnection. I don't have a hub 3 to check but if this has for some reason been set then it may be dropping the connection when it isn't in use and then having to re-establish when you try and get out to the net.
  Print Thread

Jump to