User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Schrodingers_Cat
(experienced) Thu 22-Jan-15 12:51:50
Print Post

Instability Issues

[link to this post]

I've had Infinity 2 for over a year now and it has been fine, often staying connected for weeks. Then all of a sudden a week ago I got this issue :-

Switched off everything including router to clean my PC. When I switched it all on again, the router ( Home Hub 5 ) just remained stuck on the green light....for over an hour. No amount of switching it on and off would change that.

I finally reset the router back to factory reset...and it worked. But now it is behaving odd. It starts with the green light, then goes straight to blue, and then it comes up with an orange light, with a single red curly symbol underneath. After a few minutes like that, it turns to blue. But now it is disconnecting every few hours....and the whole cycle repeats.

It says I am connected at 76meg......though curiously I not longer get any line stats from the router.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 22-Jan-15 12:58:57
Print Post

Re: Instability Issues

[re: Schrodingers_Cat] [link to this post]

Which router ?

And if a BT HH which version and which software version?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 22-Jan-15 13:19:58
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

OP said HH5.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 22-Jan-15 13:37:58
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

A or B ???

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 22-Jan-15 17:57:42
Print Post

The light sequence sounds correct for a HH5 .... what I reckon is that the HH5 is in it's death throes.

Standard User Schrodingers_Cat
(experienced) Fri 23-Jan-15 04:41:08
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Death throes ? It's only a year old.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 23-Jan-15 10:16:14
Print Post

What routines did you use "cleaning" you computer? I can't imagine that is where the problem lies, but if you can eliminate it by not connecting it for a while I suggest you try. Use a tablet or phone if you need Internet access.

Remember to turn off wireless access on your computer of course and detach its Ethernet cable if you use wired. It's the connection by it, not the use, that has a tiny chance of being the problem.

As a joking aside, with your nick surely you expect instability!

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 57.2/15.0Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

"Angels can fly because they can take themselves lightly." - G K Chesterton.
Standard User jcym
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 23-Jan-15 15:43:25
Print Post

In reply to a post by Schrodingers_Cat:
Death throes ? It's only a year old.

Random components failures, either catastrophic or gradual, can still happen at any time during an item's life in spite of the generally much greater reliability and longer life of modern electronic components and is irrespective of any external factors. I.e. while the probability of random failure is much lower nowadays, sadly it is still not zero smile.
  Print Thread

Jump to