User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ebuygum
(committed) Tue 27-Jan-15 14:21:53
Print Post

How does BT WiFi work on HH

[link to this post]

How does the public BT WiFi actually work on the Home Hub? After a few weeks with BT Broadband, BT WiFi became active this morning, and 2 new SSIDs have appeared: BTWiFi-X and BTWiFi-with-FON. (Or 4 if you count 2.4G and 5G as different.)

I understand that BTWiFi-X is for the mobile apps and BTWiFi-with-FON is for a regular login via a landing page, but all 3 (including my own SSID) are on the same channel which, if they were separate access points, would cause problems. So how does it all work?
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 27-Jan-15 14:25:25
Print Post

Re: How does BT WiFi work on HH

[re: ebuygum] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ebuygum:
So how does it all work?

Specifically what did you want to know about it?

Oliver.
Standard User ebuygum
(committed) Tue 27-Jan-15 14:33:42
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

Well, if I put 3 wireless access points side by side with 3 different SSIDs but all on the same channel there would be a problem with devices connecting to any of them (I assume), but the HH looks like 3 access points in the same box on the same channel, so why is there no problem? Or am I wrong with my initial assumption?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 27-Jan-15 14:54:32
Print Post

I don't believe that having multiple SSIDs on a single AP cause the separate SSIDs to interfere (radio-wise) with each other. Happy to be corrected though.

Oliver.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 27-Jan-15 15:32:34
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

Correct - it is just one radio channel with three names. The HH manages use of and logon to each SSID. The total capacity of that channel is the same as if it was under a single SSID.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User farnz
(member) Tue 27-Jan-15 16:00:45
Print Post

Well, if I put 3 wireless access points side by side with 3 different SSIDs but all on the same channel there would be a problem with devices connecting to any of them (I assume), but the HH looks like 3 access points in the same box on the same channel, so why is there no problem? Or am I wrong with my initial assumption?

Devices have no problems connecting to multiple side by side access points all on the same channel - WiFi has protocols in place to ensure that the devices don't interfere with each other.

The reason it's not recommended is that each channel only has a certain amount of capacity. Each SSID on a channel takes up some capacity with per-SSID overheads (beacons etc). Too many SSIDs on one channel, and the capacity available for useful data becomes near-zero.
Standard User hypertony
(experienced) Tue 27-Jan-15 16:02:49
Print Post

And is there a way to disable it?

- Tony Sutton
- Check out my Ford Focus ST170 site | View my Car's Dashcam Videos
Standard User ebuygum
(committed) Tue 27-Jan-15 16:06:35
Print Post

[re: hypertony] [link to this post]

OK, if there is no problem then that explains it for me.

hypertony - if you mean disable BT WiFi on your HH then, yes. You can do it from your BT account online. But it you disable it then you also loose the ability to use BT Wifi (and FON) elsewhere.
Standard User hypertony
(experienced) Tue 27-Jan-15 16:11:52
Print Post

hypertony - if you mean disable BT WiFi on your HH then, yes. You can do it from your BT account online. But it you disable it then you also loose the ability to use BT Wifi (and FON) elsewhere.

Well, that's a bit crafty. Reason why I ask was because ever since this got enabled via firmware update, I've noticed that my connection has slowed down.

I don't know if it's related tho... but just a thought.

- Tony Sutton
- Check out my Ford Focus ST170 site | View my Car's Dashcam Videos
Standard User ebuygum
(committed) Tue 27-Jan-15 16:15:38
Print Post

[re: hypertony] [link to this post]

If you look at your router event logs (under troubleshooting on HH4) and check the Open WiFi category you can see if anyone outside is or has been connected.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to