User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 15-Feb-15 12:15:05
Print Post

BT have broken the HH5 A

[link to this post]

It looks like the latest firmware update to the HH5 Type A has introduced many problems, including:

1. When the wi-fi is turned off on the HH5, the router becomes unstable with frequent reboots.

2. Even with the wi-fi on, the router reboots every 12 hours or so.

These regular reboots interrupt whatever you're doing - gaming, watching a movie, TV, anything frown

____________________________________________________________________________All_Quiet_on_the_Western_Front__________________
Standard User Alnath
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 15-Feb-15 13:42:08
Print Post

Re: BT have broken the HH5 A

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Mine seems ok

3. Firmware version: Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.204 (Type A) Last updated 22/01/15
4. Board version: BT Hub 5A
5. DSL uptime: 10 days, 00:37:15

The last reboot was done by me.

This is the speeds i am getting over WiFi http://www.speedtest.net/result/4144535132.png
Standard User DooGie
(committed) Sun 15-Feb-15 13:46:50
Print Post

[re: Alnath] [link to this post]

Mine seems ok apart from the Wi-Fi which is even worse than it was before the upgrade.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User TheEulerID
(member) Sun 15-Feb-15 13:59:52
Print Post

I've not seen it reboot due to WiFi problems. However, what I have noticed is that the WiFi link from one laptop was prone to hanging up. It looked like it was still connected, but (Windows 8.1) laptop reported "limited service" - that is no Internet. But I also couldn't log onto the router using the WiFi. A connect/reconnect at the WiFi level got it working again and the logs confirmed the router hadn't rebooted. Also, whilst I had WiFi issues on the laptop, a wired desktop worked fine.

The workaround was to set the router WiFi 2.4Ghz (advanced settings) to 54mbps. Not ideal, but fast enough for my purposes. (The 5Ghz WiFi is unaffected by this).

So this looks like a WiFi compatibility issue with some devices (in this case a Packard Bell Easynote TE, which is a moderately old design). I can't find a more up-to-date driver, and it's near impossible to tell whether it's the router or laptop that is at fault.

(nb. prior to the HH5 firmware update I got some WiFi hang-ups, but they were very much rarer),
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 15-Feb-15 14:04:11
Print Post

[re: Alnath] [link to this post]

Are you seeing this?
In reply to a post by BatBoy:
1. When the wi-fi is turned off on the HH5, the router becomes unstable with frequent reboots.

____________________________________________________________________________All_Quiet_on_the_Western_Front__________________
Standard User townpwl
(newbie) Sun 15-Feb-15 14:16:55
Print Post

My HH5 has issues with rebooting since the new firmware update at the end of jan, before that it was relatively stable.

Just check the event logs, hub has rebooted 6 times in the last 3 days!

Make that 7 reboots in the last 3 days. Just about to post then, then guess what! mad
Standard User bowdon
(member) Sun 15-Feb-15 19:19:30
Print Post

My HH5 became unstable prior to the latest firmware update. I don't have wifi on either. The time sync went out of sync. The logs were showing things disconnecting and reconnecting when the devices in reality were turned off.

I then got an OR modem and put the HH5 behind it, and since then no problems.

I suspect the hub as broken with the previous firmware and the problem got gradually worse. I guess its the downside of using a cheap device as the main base unit for services.. they are prone to being unreliable with many firmware updates.

Demon => Freeserve => Pipex => Be => Sky => BT Infinity 2
Standard User pcologist
(learned) Mon 16-Feb-15 07:04:06
Print Post

[re: TheEulerID] [link to this post]

I Too have had the same problem with several laptops some connected others could not even though they could see the connection, was damned annoying because at first signs thought it was the laptop! but after a couple of the other laptops also displayed the same problem confirmed the HH5 was the culprit. I contacted BT support and eventually the HH5 WIFI settings were adjusted...... they claimed that their hub had the latest technology and that some older computers couldn't cope with that...I informed him that 3 of the machines were the very latest spec and that I had not had this problem in the last couple of years with this same router.
So I am now assuming that this problem was an error introduced by a poorly designed HH5 update and an effective solution is to degrade the settings to make a "fix" the query is that if the suspect update is ever rectified then the WIFI settings will not be restored..
Standard User wolvesmad
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 16-Feb-15 08:56:50
Print Post

[re: townpwl] [link to this post]

My HH5 has been up and running since 21/1/15. It usually reboots every 2 weeks.

It's running the latest firmware, which updated on the 21st.

-

BT BroadbandInfinity 2
Standard User TheEulerID
(member) Mon 16-Feb-15 09:15:41
Print Post

[re: pcologist] [link to this post]

So what changes did they make to the WiFi? I assume that it was one of the things that can be changed using the "advanced setting" mode (maybe what I did).
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to