User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User CharlesC
(newbie) Mon 16-Feb-15 19:43:25
Print Post

BT Broadband Connection/Phone Problem

[link to this post]

Around Wednesday last week I started having problems with my BT Broadband connection and BT phone line. When I make/receive a phone call it causes the internet connection to drop out and it can't reconnected until the call ends. When it does reconnect it syncs at a much lower speed than normal (I usually get 6000kbps but after a long call the speed has been as low as 512kbps).

Since Wednesday I've also been experiencing loud interference when making voice calls (hissing and cracking sounds). The interference will stop if I disconnect my router from the line.

The first thing I thought was that the microfilter had failed. I tried using three other microfilters, but with all of them the problem continued to occur. It therefore seems that the microfilter is not the issue.

Next I thought the problem might be with the router (a Netgear DGN2200). I bought another router (a TP-LINK TD-881) and tried that. The exact same problem occurs with TP-Link and does with the Netgear, so it appears that the router is not the problem either.

The only other piece of equipment connected to the line is the telephone (a Panasonic KX-TG8561E), so I thought that might be the cause. I had an older Panasonic KX-TG8321E stored in cupboard so I plugged that in. Using the old phone the problem still continues to occur, so it seems that the phone is not the problem either.

I only have one telephone socket in the house (the master socket) and no extensions. Both my telephone and router are connected to the master socket via a microfilter. The only equipment in the house is the router, phone and microfilter and none of those things appear to be the cause of the problem.

The only remaining thing I can think is that there is a problem with the line, but BT's automated line check says there are no problems. I still think the problem might be with the line, but BT's £130 call out fee leaves me unenthusiastic to call out an engineer.

I've tried everything I can think of, so I was wondering if anyone here might have any idea what the problem is?

I'd be grateful for any suggestions you might have.
Standard User cheshire_man
(knowledge is power) Tue 17-Feb-15 09:26:37
Print Post

Re: BT Broadband Connection/Phone Problem

[re: CharlesC] [link to this post]

I'm no expert on these things, but I've seen a number of posts about this sort of problem and as there's not been any replies as yet I thought I'd drop in my twopence worth.

As there is noise on the line during a voice call, the usual recommendation is to report that problem to your voice provider, BT. Make no mention of broadband. Once the voice problem has been fixed, see what happens to your broadband service.

As I recollect previous posts this sort of problem can often be caused by a high resistance (HR) joint somewhere in your line. Is your telephone line fed overground or underground?

Hope this helps and perhaps those with much more knowledge than I are able to help you more.

Tony
We have more and more laws, and less and less enforcement
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 17-Feb-15 10:03:49
Print Post

[re: cheshire_man] [link to this post]

Before reporting the voice fault, remove everything broadband related from the line just to ensure the issue remains.

If you don't do this an engineer will turn up and do the same test and if all is well just blame the DSL hardware and leave.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User flippery
(committed) Tue 17-Feb-15 10:05:27
Print Post

Remove the faceplate from master socket and plug into test socket behind and check.
Do you have corded non powered phone to use, cheap to purchase.
If results same, as previous post says would appear to be line fault
BT cover up to test socket only.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 17-Feb-15 10:53:50
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

The OP already disconnected everything broadband and confirmed the noise goes away. But, they have tried different filter and router and noise is the same with any broadband equipment. That should suggest an external fault but a phone engineer will probably just blame on the router/filter.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 17-Feb-15 13:10:49
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Most likely a High Resistance fault, that rectifies the ADSL radio signal down into audible noise

The change in line current during ring/calls is the big hint.

If its present with no ADSL kit present then getting fixed is easier and simpler to spot.
If present when ADSL running, then ideally need to check its not your kit and needs reporting via broadband firm and see if a HR fault note can be passed down.

HR faults usually get worse and eventually affect just the voice side too.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User CharlesC
(newbie) Tue 17-Feb-15 16:26:05
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by cheshire_man:
As there is noise on the line during a voice call, the usual recommendation is to report that problem to your voice provider, BT. Make no mention of broadband. Once the voice problem has been fixed, see what happens to your broadband service.
The noise on the line only occurs when the router is connected, so at first glance it looks like a problem with the router or microfilter. However, I've tried two different routes and four different microfilters and the issue continues to occurs. It therefore doesn't seem to be an issue with the hardware, but that's what the BT engineer would probably blame.

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Before reporting the voice fault, remove everything broadband related from the line just to ensure the issue remains.

If you don't do this an engineer will turn up and do the same test and if all is well just blame the DSL hardware and leave.
Unfortunately the issue only occurs with the DSL hardware connected, though doesn't seem to be the cause of the problem. As you say though, the BT engineer would probably blame the router, charge me £130 and not even fix the problem.

In reply to a post by flippery:
Remove the faceplate from master socket and plug into test socket behind and check.
Do you have corded non powered phone to use, cheap to purchase.
If results same, as previous post says would appear to be line fault
BT cover up to test socket only.
I've tried the master socket, and I've tried two different powered phones. However, I haven't tried a non-powered phone. I'll be going shopping on Thursday so I'll pick on up then and see if it makes a difference. Thanks for the suggestion.

In reply to a post by ian72:
The OP already disconnected everything broadband and confirmed the noise goes away. But, they have tried different filter and router and noise is the same with any broadband equipment. That should suggest an external fault but a phone engineer will probably just blame on the router/filter.
Yea, that's what I'm worried about. If I do have to call the engineer I'll show him the different microfilters, routers and phones I've tried to try and convince him that the problem is with the line, but I still suspect he'll blame my equipment and charge me the £130.

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Most likely a High Resistance fault, that rectifies the ADSL radio signal down into audible noise

The change in line current during ring/calls is the big hint.

If its present with no ADSL kit present then getting fixed is easier and simpler to spot.
If present when ADSL running, then ideally need to check its not your kit and needs reporting via broadband firm and see if a HR fault note can be passed down.

HR faults usually get worse and eventually affect just the voice side too.
It's only present when I have the broadband connected at the moment. However, if it usually gets worse and effects just the voice side, I might wait until that happens so it would be easier for the BT engineer to see the problem is with the line.

The other thing I'm considering is cancelling the BT broadband subscription and BT telephone line and and going with a different provider. That way any problems should be resolved during installation. BT are terrible anyway and they keep putting up the line rental to pay for the Champions League and Premier League rights.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 17-Feb-15 20:49:51
Print Post

In reply to a post by CharlesC:
I've tried the master socket
But you don't say whether you've tried the hidden test socket?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User CharlesC
(newbie) Tue 17-Feb-15 20:57:55
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
In reply to a post by CharlesC:
I've tried the master socket
But you don't say whether you've tried the hidden test socket?

Sorry, I typed master when I meant to say test. I've taken the face plate off and tried the test socket. Unfortunately the results were the same and using the phone still caused the internet connection to drop out.

I can only think the problem is with the line. I did try emailing BT on Friday to see what they said before calling out an engineer, but they haven't replied yet.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Tue 17-Feb-15 21:02:06
Print Post

Using the test socket should disconnect the phone...

____________________________________________________________________________All_Quiet_on_the_Western_Front__________________
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to