User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Raedwald512
(newbie) Tue 17-Feb-15 17:13:13
Print Post

HH5 Infinity VPN issues

[link to this post]

Having some "interesting" issues trying to connect a laptop to the office via VPN and would appreciate any assistance.

If I connect via the home network, either wired or wifi, then without fail I get an error - host unreachable. Internet access is fine, it just wont connect to the VPN.

If, however, I connect via wifi to the BT WiFi with Fon network on the same HH5 then, once I've signed in to BT via a web browser, the VPN connects almost immediately.

Other than the network name and internal network IP range, no other settings have been changed on the HH5.

Hub version: BT Home Hub 5 (Type A) | Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.204 | Last updated 22/01/15

Ideally, I'd want to connect via the home network (security) rather than the BT WiFi one (unsecured), but I can find no way to make it work.

Edited by Raedwald512 (Tue 17-Feb-15 18:00:34)

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Tue 17-Feb-15 18:05:56
Print Post

Re: HH5 Infinity VPN issues

[re: Raedwald512] [link to this post]

What VPN protocol are you using?

____________________________________________________________________________All_Quiet_on_the_Western_Front__________________
(newbie) Tue 17-Feb-15 19:27:29
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

L2TP/IPSec

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Tue 17-Feb-15 20:31:39
Print Post

Hmm, that works for me sorry.

____________________________________________________________________________All_Quiet_on_the_Western_Front__________________
(newbie) Wed 18-Feb-15 08:57:31
Print Post

Thanks smile

Just wish it worked for me as well! smile

It must come down to a router setting, as it works on the BT WiFi with Fon, just not on the specific network.

I'd rather not factory reset it, given that all that was changed was network name and internal IP range.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Wed 18-Feb-15 09:05:58
Print Post

Have you tried turning the firewall off? have you tried putting the PC in the DMZ?
There's a setting on the Homehub for VPN, tried that?

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 18-Feb-15 09:26:34
Print Post

The LAN IP range does not just happen to be the same as the LAN IP range at the VPN end?

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User trolleybus
(committed) Wed 18-Feb-15 13:51:13
Print Post

When you can't get VPN working there seems to be no one to turn to for definitive help and advice. I've personally found that once you are absolutely sure that you are providing the right credentials and it still won't connect, reducing the MTU is often a golden bullet and in some cases replacing freebie routers from the ISP with a better quality router does the trick.

On the client PC, have you remembered to configure the connection for the pre shared key for authentication? Easy to forget about this step.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Wed 18-Feb-15 13:56:07
Print Post

You don't have Parental Controls enabled, do you?

(newbie) Thu 26-Feb-15 09:28:33
Print Post

[re: trolleybus] [link to this post]

Parental controls not set. IP range differs from the work network, VPN setting for UDP port on the router set.

As I said, it works fine using BT WiFi with Fon, it just refuses to connect from the home network.

BT = [censored] Terrible (where VPNs are concerned!)
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to