User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Lanus
(regular) Wed 18-Feb-15 22:26:31
Print Post

What does BT block exactly?

[link to this post]

Hi all,
I can't find any relevant info on this here so apologies if it has in fact been answered many times as i imagine it must be. My phone line is one of the old 8mb style lines and a BT guy called me this evening offering me the BT phone and broadband package for cheaper than my current phone pack is costing so it seems a no-brainer all thing being equal. Now i know the sites that the big ISPs block but are there any others? I'm thinking specifically of file lockers/hosters like uploaded and ryushare etc which im thinking i don't want to use through a VPN. I'm not familiar with using a VPN, is it terribly annoying to use regularly?
Thanks all.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Thu 19-Feb-15 00:39:15
Print Post

Re: What does BT block exactly?

[re: Lanus] [link to this post]

Sites are often blocked as a result of court orders http://www.ukispcourtorders.co.uk/

Further info http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_websites_blocke...

____________________________________________________________________________All_Quiet_on_the_Western_Front__________________
Standard User timl
(committed) Thu 19-Feb-15 07:11:12
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

That's a nice list they've made for us. I'd have never found that little treasure trove on my own.

Plusnet unlimited FTTC
BT Infinity 2

Edited by timl (Thu 19-Feb-15 07:23:53)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 19-Feb-15 13:29:29
Print Post

[re: timl] [link to this post]

Not sure about other ISPs, but Sky keep a list: http://help.sky.com/articles/websites-blocked-under-...

Oliver.
Standard User NaNook
(freechataholic) Thu 19-Feb-15 14:47:29
Print Post

Surely, publishing these lists just provides information on where to go, for what, for those who know how to circumvent the blocks?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 19-Feb-15 15:07:07
Print Post

[re: NaNook] [link to this post]

The court orders are a matter of public record, if these move to being 'secret court orders' then very quickly the oppressive state talk will follow.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 19-Feb-15 18:22:05
Print Post

Also Internet Watch Foundation targeted sites.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User bowdon
(member) Thu 19-Feb-15 19:20:57
Print Post

[re: Lanus] [link to this post]

So far file locker sites arent blocked. Mainly because there is legitimate uses for them. The court orders tend to go after the websites hosting the links to copyrighted material.

Demon => Freeserve => Pipex => Be => Sky => BT Infinity 2
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 19-Feb-15 20:03:51
Print Post

[re: bowdon] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by bowdon:
Mainly because there is legitimate uses for them.

Mainly because they are compliant with DMCA requests. With Bittorrent the violators are the thousands or millions seeding the files, so it's not feasible to contact them all to ask them to stop sharing it, so they go after the sites facilitating them. Rapidshare is even shutting down soon, because being DMCA compliant has made them unprofitable; no one wants to use them if they don't host copyright material.

Oliver.
Standard User Lanus
(regular) Thu 19-Feb-15 23:26:11
Print Post

[re: bowdon] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by bowdon:
So far file locker sites arent blocked. Mainly because there is legitimate uses for them. The court orders tend to go after the websites hosting the links to copyrighted material.

Thanks mate, i could probably live with that then but i've decided not to switch over to them anyway as i don't need the hassle even if its cheaper and too many bad reps for BT.
Thanks all for the help smile
  Print Thread

Jump to