User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User GeoffB
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 04-Mar-15 17:57:23
Print Post

11ac wireless faster than Ethernet

[link to this post]

I have just got a new computer that supports ac wireless and my HH5 connects at 65Mbs fairly constantly. The Ethernet port gives me about 62Mbs. Mind you, the kit is all in the same room. So I got the new 11ac dongle from the BT shop and plugged it into my wife's laptop in the next room. 60Mbs, so not bad. She was getting 40ish with a conventional 5G dongle. I've walked around the house and tried the laptops in several rooms on different floors (we only have two, so not a big mansion) and the 11ac connections give 60+Mbs everywhere. The connection from the router to laptops is 433Mbs now. Might be worth considering if you get lots of buffering on iPlayer etc. or big variations room to room. I see that the BT price for a HH5 in the shop is £129 but it seems to be particularly good over 11ac. I got mine free by signing an 18 month contract when I ditched my HH3. The BT line checker tells me to expect 62Mbs maximum so I'm pretty pleased.

Dell Studio1558 with Win7 Home Premium
8GB RAM
HP Pavilion netbook Win8 8GB RAM
IE11 and Live Mail
BT Infinity 2 via HH5
(Virgin 150Mbs as backup)
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 04-Mar-15 18:11:02
Print Post

Re: 11ac wireless faster than Ethernet

[re: GeoffB] [link to this post]

What exactly is producing the 65 Mbps figure? No real reason an Ethernet should be slower than 93 Mbps unless its a very very poor Ethernet implementation on the device (93 Mbps being the rough limit for throughput from a 100 Mbps Ethernet port)

The reason for asking is that speed tests depending on how they handle burst speeds can give higher results with wireless occasionally, particularly if it is bursty in nature.

Ethernet will be immune to the problems that can cause wireless issues so should be a lot less buffering normally, and iPlayer has a maximum throughput of around 5 to 6 Mbps even in HD mode so if seeing buffering on any connection above 10 Mbps then you have other issues going in. The 5GHz band is generally a lot better speed wise, but its performance has a sharper cliff due to the attenuation of building materials.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User GeoffB
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 04-Mar-15 18:34:45
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I used the Ookla site but I'll try here tonight. I agree that buffering is mainly a wireless phenomenon but I have had it over Ethernet too on a Gigabit port. I expect that many people will sit in the living room quite a way from the router to watch things on iPlayer and that's where my 11ac connection seems to score. Same with You Tube too. How long before the next wireless standard, I wonder?

Dell Studio1558 with Win7 Home Premium
8GB RAM
HP Pavilion netbook Win8 8GB RAM
IE11 and Live Mail
BT Infinity 2 via HH5
(Virgin 150Mbs as backup)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Wed 04-Mar-15 18:54:40
Print Post

As has been advised the wired connection should yield just as good results at those speeds.
Also, for reference most homes have their router in the living room or the hallway.

I am glad you have had such positive results with AC, I want to give it a try at some stage.
Standard User ggremlin
(committed) Wed 04-Mar-15 19:19:33
Print Post

I find that the limiting factor on the bt ac dongle is that is a usb2 device, limiting it to under 300Mbit/s real data speeds
  Print Thread

Jump to