User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Ryan1
(member) Sun 15-Mar-15 09:25:51
Print Post

Migrate From Plusnet

[link to this post]

I am currently on Plusnet fibre and am thinking of switching to BT infinity with TV and Calls.

My main reason is that I've just cancelled my Sky subscription as I'm fed up of paying £40 per month. The only channels I really watch are BTSport and Eurosport.

If I switch to BT I'll get £120 cash back plus free Youview box plus 12 HD channels inc Eurosport HD and BT sport all for an extra £10 per month to what I'm paying Plusnet now.

My main concern is that I was burnt really bad by BT broadband many moons ago so am obviously worried.

Have any other plusnetters migrated to BT and was it painless and did u notice any change in your broadband performance? Also are the a TV channels via BT reliable?

I have a 74mb down and 18mb up currently

Standard User StephenTodd
(experienced) Sun 15-Mar-15 12:58:19
Print Post

Re: Migrate From Plusnet

[re: Ryan1] [link to this post]

I moved the other way. I have found performance pretty similar between the two, except that I was on BT Infinity 2 (80/20) and am on Plusnet 40/20. Latency is much better for me on Plusnet, as BT routing went Winchester->Sheffield->London before leaving the BT network, adding around 9ms to pings.

Plusnet service seems better; but BT is usually OK as well.

Not being a sports fan, free BT Sport was of no interest to me. FON was the only special BT service I liked; I could get that from Plusnet too but I'd need to buy the FON router.

It is a shame that loyalty offers never match up to the disloyalty ones.

--
Recently moved from BT Infinity 2 to PlusNet. Very happy so far.
Standard User 961a
(learned) Sun 15-Mar-15 13:19:51
Print Post

In reply to a post by Ryan1:
I am currently on Plusnet fibre and am thinking of switching to BT infinity with TV and Calls.

My main reason is that I've just cancelled my Sky subscription as I'm fed up of paying £40 per month. The only channels I really watch are BTSport and Eurosport.

If I switch to BT I'll get £120 cash back plus free Youview box plus 12 HD channels inc Eurosport HD and BT sport all for an extra £10 per month to what I'm paying Plusnet now.

My main concern is that I was burnt really bad by BT broadband many moons ago so am obviously worried.

Have any other plusnetters migrated to BT and was it painless and did u notice any change in your broadband performance? Also are the a TV channels via BT reliable?

I have a 74mb down and 18mb up currently

I went from Plusnet to BT basically to get an offer such as you describe but also to get BT Sport channels using my Skybox and take phone line, internet, voice calls all on the same package

Basically I should say I'm on ADSL not fibre, but the move went without a hitch, the speeds actually improvedand I'm fine with the move

Check regarding your existing e-mail addresses. I still pay Plusnet about £1.70 per month to maintain my plusnet e-mail and web site

I've read the BT horror stories. You don't always hear about the majority that go well

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sun 15-Mar-15 13:38:11
Print Post

You should have no problems ... it is a regukar occurrence in both directions and most go without an y issues whatsoever.

Your 74/18 will not change, your latency might - and could go either way depending on your exact location and the routing used.

Tech support - both use call centres where English is not always their first language; India for BT and Yorkshire for Plusnet! smile The £30 per month saving is well worth it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User Ryan1
(member) Sun 15-Mar-15 13:58:51
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

I forgot to put in my post that I am having issues with Zbuffering when viewing streaming video on Plusnet. Iplayer,Netflix, SVT player etc

Standard User 961a
(learned) Sun 15-Mar-15 14:02:07
Print Post

Have to say I run Netflix etc on ADSL at 8Mbps BT without ever having had a buffering episode
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sun 15-Mar-15 16:33:16
Print Post

Unlikely to be a Plusnet issue ... Potentially a local issue on your PC, router, hub, switch or WiFi.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User ambrougham
(newbie) Sun 15-Mar-15 19:34:10
Print Post

[re: 961a] [link to this post]

Warning-Warning-Warning: Potential thread hijack in progress tongue

In reply to a post by 961a:
I still pay Plusnet about £1.70 per month to maintain my plusnet e-mail and web site

Apologies to the OP but this comment *REALLY* interests me ! Would you care to elaborate on how you managed to come to that arrangement and what the terms actually are ?

As a PN customer since almost the very first day F9 started lurking in a back office at Choice Peripherals, I've always made full use of e-mail, webspace and various other facilities that haven't been available to F9/PN subscribers for donkey's years. My gross stupidity has effectively tied me in to not only staying with PN despite problems various but also paying through the nose every month for an antique account with very significant bandwidth restrictions. I'm sick and tired of being screwed senseless and have been for several years but moving elsewhere becomes a thorough pita when there's historic baggage to consider and it's not just a basic connection to move. The loss of e-mail addresses and webspace that have been in constant use for the best part of 20 years and so on has always ended up overriding the financial and potential technical benefits of walking away every time I've seriously looked into doing so. And I don't even get so much as a thank you from the hordes of 'new' PN customers paying next to nothing because me and no doubt countless others are massively subsidising their extra-special supa-dupa go-faster mucho el-cheapo unlimited deals either. Grrrrr and all that !

Hence even the hint of a possibility of paying PN a sensible amount for the 'extras' and getting a much cheaper and (hopefully) more reliable basic connection from elsewhere excites me more than you could possibly imagine ... and probably significantly more than is in any way reasonable or 'normal' it has to be said smile
Standard User ian007jen
(committed) Sun 15-Mar-15 19:57:24
Print Post

[re: ambrougham] [link to this post]

I've always made full use of e-mail, webspace and various other facilities that haven't been available to F9/PN subscribers for donkey's years

I always thought, with plusnet, you can update your ADSL etc AND keep your extras; have you ever phoned retentions or posted on their forums for help with this?

Ian
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 15-Mar-15 20:57:38
Print Post

[re: ambrougham] [link to this post]

Is your website and email with Plusnet on a Plusnet domain or do you have your own domain? (I think they used to let you have your own domain).

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 53.4 (interleaved)/15.6Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to