User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User StormcroW
(member) Fri 20-Mar-15 16:52:51
Print Post

5 days for a MAC they can give it instantly?

[link to this post]

I asked BT for my MAC on the 18th and was told 5 days, I have migrated from other isp's in the past and have been given it instantly. If BT think this will make me consider them in the future they are sadly mistaken.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Fri 20-Mar-15 17:02:26
Print Post

Re: 5 days for a MAC they can give it instantly?

[re: StormcroW] [link to this post]

Under Ofcom regulations, where a consumer or small business (with 10 or less employees) wishes to change broadband provider, a MAC must be issued within 5 working days of the request.

____________________________________________________________________________All_Quiet_on_the_Western_Front__________________
Standard User StormcroW
(member) Fri 20-Mar-15 17:16:54
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

I know but what I am trying to say is that why make me wait 5 days when the support person who took my call had the ability to have the MAC in front of his face while he was talking to me and trying to get me to stay. Just because they have 5 days doesn't mean they should take 5 days, they are just being total *****.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Fri 20-Mar-15 17:18:35
Print Post

[re: StormcroW] [link to this post]

I'm sure Ofcom set it at 5 working days for a reason.

____________________________________________________________________________All_Quiet_on_the_Western_Front__________________
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 20-Mar-15 17:39:18
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Yes, they did. Before the auto-requests from Openreach were available online tongue.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 53.4 (interleaved)/15.6Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 20-Mar-15 18:11:04
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Yes, they did. Before the auto-requests from Openreach were available online tongue.

Hasn't eCo always offered that? I doubt BT Wholesale ever had people sitting in an office manually processing migrations all day.

Oliver.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 20-Mar-15 18:27:44
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

It's the retailers that need it, and you could be right re Openreach and BTW. But plenty of ISPs a few years ago certainly didn't have it available in their systems. They had to request it one way or another.

Ofcom presumably never changed the 5 days because it wasn't worth it.

At O2 and IDNet I don't think it ever went near a person, as I expect you know in the first case.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 53.4 (interleaved)/15.6Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 20-Mar-15 18:45:24
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
It's the retailers that need it, and you could be right re Openreach and BTW. But plenty of ISPs a few years ago certainly didn't have it available in their systems. They had to request it one way or another.

Hmm, would be interesting to hear from Xilo, Aquiss or IDnet or someone familiar with the history of the eCo system. I imagine automatic MAC generation was available from day one, and the only reason Ofcom brought in legislation was because some retailers were dragging their heels, not because BT Wholesale had no systems in place to generate a MAC instantaneously, but because the retailers were being slow or incompetent for reasons internal to their own company.

Oliver.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 20-Mar-15 18:59:11
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

That's to some extent what I was trying to say. Part of it almost word for word what you quote.

Many retailers had to contact BTW manually, phone/email/whatever, because they didn't have a computerised MAC request/return service.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 20-Mar-15 19:00:40
Print Post

Going to be slower soon, since the new NoT has a dead space of ten days during which time the account holder gets sent a letter and has time to say NO I DID NOT ORDER A MIGRATION

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to