User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User BigStu09
(newbie) Thu 26-Mar-15 20:40:22
Print Post

BT Infinity Drops Out Every 16 Mins

[link to this post]

Hi,
Newbie here looking to see if any one else having similar problems.

Over the past seven weeks my infinity 2 connection will drop out after 16 mins of up-time.
Sometimes it will come straight back on or it will stay off for 16 mins. Or it may be on or off in various combinations of 16 mins.
Have had four engineer visits, parts in cab changed and still no difference.
Two Open Reach engineers have been totally amazed that I could look at router stats and tell them exactly when it was going to go down.
Open Reach engineer also informs me that line from cab to house is old aluminum which was not even designed to carry Broadband never mind Infinity, chances of being replaced with copper is zero.

Has anyone else out there experienced any similar problems and if so what was the out-come.
I have only had Infinity since November 2014 and sometimes wonder why I decided to get it as I have only had four continues weeks with no problems.
All BT & Open Reach seems to do is a never ending cycle of line test followed by DLM Profile resets which has no effect.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 26-Mar-15 22:09:15
Print Post

Re: BT Infinity Drops Out Every 16 Mins

[re: BigStu09] [link to this post]

What hardware are you using on the end, when Openreach visited did their test equipment drop out after 16 minutes ?

Is it sync or PPP that is dropping out ?

Standard User BigStu09
(newbie) Fri 27-Mar-15 05:54:05
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Using Home-Hub 5 at the moment, was using a Openreach Modem and Home-Hub 5 combo at one point as well.
Yes there test equipment drops out as well. Maybe there test equipment is as much use as Openreach as all they seem to do is go around in circles of Line Tests followed by Lift & Shifts neither of which makes any difference.
If they band my speed to 6Mbps I have a responsible stable connection.
I believe that there is loads of people out there having drop outs along with capped speed and do not even notice.
It is high time the Phone/Broadband infrastructure in this country was updated from new exchanges right into customers houses.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 27-Mar-15 08:03:58
Print Post

If regular as clockwork with different hardware suggests a large regular burst of noise from something running on a timer

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 27-Mar-15 08:33:58
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Agreed.

The OP seems to imply he's had a lift and shift done, and the symptoms persist with the visiting engineers tests equipment. REIN seems a logical next step. Or maybe summat sneaky like a rectified split pair ?

Standard User BigStu09
(newbie) Fri 27-Mar-15 13:15:09
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Engineer just left after spending four hours working on problem.
Switched over to a complete different line.
Done a Lift & Shift which failed the first time.
Now getting 38Mbps down and 8Mbps and seem to be keeping a stable connection.
I will be keeping a close on on the connection over next few days.
Standard User amonra
(newbie) Fri 27-Mar-15 13:59:06
Print Post

If your latest "rewire" does not work, I would suggest looking for an interference source, in your house or near by, such as a gas fired central heating boiler. These can be prolific generators of interference from their thermostats and tend to cycle round about the 15 minute mark. Try listening out on an old MW/LW radio.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 27-Mar-15 15:21:37
Print Post

[re: amonra] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by amonra:
... from their thermostats and tend to cycle round about the 15 minute mark. Try listening out on an old MW/LW radio.

What rubbish. Why would a thermostat have a timer? They will switch whenever they detect an appropriate change in temperature whether that is every few seconds or few hours.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User flippery
(committed) Fri 27-Mar-15 15:39:46
Print Post

Re: BT Infinity Drops Out Every 16 Mins *DELETED*

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Post deleted by flippery
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Wed 01-Apr-15 12:25:41
Print Post

to be fair copper was never originally designed for broadband either. Ali isnt as good yes but its not necessarily terrible.

100m of my line between the bank and my home is ali, and I currently have a 50+ day uptime on fast path.

So the comment from the engineer suggests lazyness to me.

The one thing he is right on tho is the ali will probably never get replaced unless its stolen by thieves or the day it gets replaced by fibre.

Plusnet Fibre Unlimited BQM - IPv4 BQM - IPv6

Edited by Chrysalis (Wed 01-Apr-15 12:27:19)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to