User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User UKconfederate
(newbie) Thu 09-Apr-15 17:30:36
Print Post

BT Broadband to BT Infinity within minimum contract term

[link to this post]

Hey all,

I'm hoping someone maybe able to help me. I'm thinking about taking up BT Broadband on an old fashioned 20CN (up to 8Mb) line. Still behind the times out here.

However, my local cabinet is due to get a fibre twin sometime between now and the end of September this year, as soon as this is available I'd like to get fibre straight away.

What I'd like to know, if I was to commit now to a 12 month BT Broadband contract, would I still be able to upgrade to the BT Infinity product during this 12 months minimum term?
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 09-Apr-15 17:35:34
Print Post

Re: BT Broadband to BT Infinity within minimum contract term

[re: UKconfederate] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by UKconfederate:
What I'd like to know, if I was to commit now to a 12 month BT Broadband contract, would I still be able to upgrade to the BT Infinity product during this 12 months minimum term?

Yes. But when you upgrade to Infinity you will be subject to a new minimum term.

Oliver.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 09-Apr-15 20:55:31
Print Post

As Oliver341 says, YES. I have done it several times over the years without any issue.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 09-Apr-15 22:51:37
Print Post

Just a side-issue - I don't know where you get the "end of September" date from, but from all such forecasts we have seen here you would be unwise to put much faith in and hope on it.

It will probably (but not certainly) happen, but it could be months or even years later than that. It could go back six months on 27th September.

I'm not doom-mongering. Just trying to soften the blow and warning you not to be too surprised or upset if that happens.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 60000/16961kbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

Edited by RobertoS (Thu 09-Apr-15 22:55:09)

Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 09-Apr-15 23:08:58
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
As Oliver341 says, YES. I have done it several times over the years without any issue.

ISPs generally don't mind breaking the minimum term and starting a new one, as long as the new monthly price increases. But they tend not to allow it when the monthly cost decreases.

Oliver.
Standard User stevee
(newbie) Fri 10-Apr-15 09:22:04
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Just a side-issue - I don't know where you get the "end of September" date from, but from all such forecasts we have seen here you would be unwise to put much faith in and hope on it.

It will probably (but not certainly) happen, but it could be months or even years later than that. It could go back six months on 27th September.

Very true. My exchange was originally supposed to be upgraded Dec 2013, then it moved to March 2014 (and all the cabinets were installed.) The first cabinets went live in July - one more in September, and the cabinet that serves my house suddenly started accepting orders a week ago. (And up until Wednesday the county council were saying that it was due sometime between July and Dec 2015!)

So, dates are at best a guide.
Standard User UKconfederate
(newbie) Fri 10-Apr-15 11:22:00
Print Post

[re: stevee] [link to this post]

Hey guys,

Thank you all for taking the time to reply to me. It's reassuring to know that others have been able to upgrade during the minimum contract period.

Regarding the September date for FTTC, this has been supplied from the OnLincolshire website, my local cabinet is due in Phase 6 (April - September 2015). I also appreciate this could easily change as two other cabinets on my local exchange were due in Phase 3 (June - Dec 2014) and both are still awaiting to be enabled despite being in situ since last July 2014.
Thank for pointing out that I shouldn't get my hopes up though but with how long the two other cabinets have been delayed, I'm expecting a lengthy delay for mine as well.

Once again, thank you all for taking the time to reply.
Standard User NaNook
(freechataholic) Fri 10-Apr-15 12:46:54
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Have to agree, we were a few years late on our cabinets, on a brand new estate.
  Print Thread

Jump to