User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User camallison
(newbie) Thu 30-Apr-15 07:46:04
Print Post

BT Mail migration (or not)

[link to this post]

Earlier this week, my BT mail migrated to the new format as did all our sub-accounts. Over the past couple of days, it was possible to log out and go back in to the mail without logging in again, even after an overnight offline. Now, this morning, all our accounts are back on the old style.

What on earth are BT doing? The whole migration issue has been a protracted comedy.

Anyone else seen this happen.

camallison
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Thu 30-Apr-15 08:23:26
Print Post

Re: BT Mail migration (or not)

[re: camallison] [link to this post]

I believe this self-inflicted pain was because they couldn't live with the fact that Sky had signed up to Yahoo too.

____________________________________________________Information_without_perspective_is_a_higher_form_of_ignorance_
Standard User camallison
(newbie) Thu 30-Apr-15 09:56:03
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Self-inflicted? It's the customers who are suffering the pain! wink

I have to wonder if any professional people work on their customer-facing sites.

camallison

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 30-Apr-15 11:23:56
Print Post

Sky's migration from Google to Yahoo was done on the same day for everyone. Whilst it did result in lots of issues at the time, it did avoid a protracted migration period. Essentially they just set up the mailboxes on Yahoo, switched the MX DNS entries and migrated the mail.

They used IMAP to synchronise mail, but as a result if customers turned off a mailbox in IMAP, it didn't synchronise. Neither did the "All Mail" (label-less) email in Gmail.

It was certainly "fun" at the time, but it's now a distant memory, whilst BT's migration goes on forever. BT are also mail forwarding from Openwave servers to Yahoo for mailboxes which are not migrated, breaking SPF in the process (and has done for a couple of years now).

Oliver.
Standard User camallison
(newbie) Sat 02-May-15 12:52:40
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

This gets even dafter! Now, if I log out of BT Mail and wait anything from 10 minutes to 12 hours before attempting to log back in, I get the "we are transferring you" page and then straight in without any log in credentials.

This is totally unprofessional and compares with the coding quality of a rank amateur.

Come on BT - sort it out!

camallison
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sat 02-May-15 13:49:36
Print Post

Are you actually looged out?

Yahoo and thus the original BT did not log you out when you clicked on log out. A further screen would appear a few seconds later asking if you actually wanted to log out - is something like that happening?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User camallison
(newbie) Sat 02-May-15 16:28:12
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Yes, the whole works.

camallison
Standard User binary
(member) Sat 06-Jun-15 11:07:47
Print Post

I've just checked a hardly used BT email email account for a relative and found, to my slight surprise, that the webmail system in use is still Yahoo rather than BT's new, own brand BT Mail, which I remember BT making a fuss about a while back.

This is obviously old news to people here, but what's the story with this protracted migration from Yahoo to the new system?

On this BT help page, under "So will I still be moving to BT Mail?". it says...

We temporarily stopped moving customers to BT Mail in September 2014 while we made some improvements to the service. We'll let you know when we're going to start moving people across again.

What happened - did they find out the BT Mail system was no good after they started migrating people over onto it?
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 06-Jun-15 11:30:58
Print Post

[re: binary] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by binary:
What happened - did they find out the BT Mail system was no good after they started migrating people over onto it?

No-one knows why the migration has still not been completed over two years later, BT have never said.

Oliver.
  Print Thread

Jump to