User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User nine
(learned) Thu 14-May-15 08:57:12
Print Post

Bt router advice and help

[link to this post]

hello all

I am waiting for my fibre install and recived a homehub type A but im on a huawei cabinet and most likely this g.Inp is ebabled. Can i return the hub type A for another and ask for a B or just get rid of the hub for better router with more features?

Is there a certain kind of router that works best on my huawei fibre cabinet as im between 460 -640 metres away?.

Over chat they said l have fibre self install as no engineer was needed but i have a master adsl nation filtered faceplate and 1 extension to adsl nation filtered faceplate to where router is located but i get good syncs 16megs ish on adsl2 with broadcom chipset netgear.

Ive payed the 30 quid for activation hoping was all included new faceplates and location of router

Thank u so much

Edited by nine (Thu 14-May-15 09:00:06)

Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 14-May-15 10:00:39
Print Post

Re: Bt router advice and help

[re: nine] [link to this post]

There's almost certainly nothing wrong with your existing internal wiring and filtering, judging by your description. You could replace it with a setup based on the Openreach interstitial VDSL filter, but that would be at your expense.

At the moment, I believe G.INP is not being enabled on new lines pending the result of the trial that aims to find a solution for the latency issues experienced with some equipment. It may also be that a fully G.INP compatible firmware emerges for the Home Hub you have.

Those things said, I understand why you are unhappy. If you can't arrange a swap for a Type B, you could get a HG612 Type 3B from a well known auction site, install the B030SP08 firmware and connect that to the Ethernet WAN port of the Home Hub you have.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 14-May-15 10:27:25
Print Post

The £30 is an activation fee, i.e. part pays the £49+VAT wholesale cost for the engineer to go to the cabinet and enable you. If you wanted an engineer visit the wholesale cost is £99+VAT

The ADSL nation faceplate and a decent dedicated data extension should be fine. Only if its getting very old and capacitors are failing might you see issues.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User nine
(learned) Thu 14-May-15 18:35:28
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for quick replys.

yeah I'm not too happy being sent a homehub 5 type A on my huawei cabinet.

i thought this g.inp is already installed on all huawei cabinets apart from eci as this trial thing going on and they just connect the wires at the cab. I know its huawei cab seen it and had 4 grills and that massive locking bolt thing.

is this going cause me sync problems and poor pings to by recieveing a hh5 type A I was hoping for type B. I been to pc world today to look at some new fibre routers

great start not installed yet and unhappy.

Thanks to all
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 14-May-15 18:47:10
Print Post

I'd be very shocked if the fibre routers at PC World include a VDSL2 modem let alone give you info on G.INP compatibility, sourcing the HG612 is probably cheapest router to avoid issues.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User nine
(learned) Fri 15-May-15 17:08:15
Print Post

Re: Bt router advice and help and update

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

been coneected to infinity but on that home hub 5a

looking at my stats can u please say if there ok

4. Board version: BT Hub 5A
5. DSL uptime: 0 days, 00:56:11
6. Data rate: 9881 / 40000
7. Maximum data rate: 9896 / 50305
8. Noise margin: 6.0 / 10.3
9. Line attenuation: 33.8 / 22.8
10. Signal attenuation: 33.1 / 20.5
11. Data sent/received: 62.7 MB / 1.4 GB

also i pinged bbc just after uptime was 7/8/9 ms and now at 17.06pm its pinging 10/11/12ms to bbc.

are these stats good ?

spoke to soon doing a ps4 update on cod 2.636 gig going take 3 hours

what up with that

Edited by nine (Fri 15-May-15 17:40:46)

Standard User rich_jtg
(member) Fri 15-May-15 17:41:14
Print Post

I'm connected to a Huawei cabinet, and received a Type A HH5 this week...

G.INP isn't activated on our cabinet though, and the Hub worked fine.

I've since swapped it out for my Billion 8800NL as I'm used to the router, but the performance between the two was very similar.

Pipex > Zen > Be > iDNet > Freeola > Zen > BT Infinity 1
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Fri 15-May-15 18:20:22
Print Post

Is your PS4 connected over wifi?
Standard User nine
(learned) Sat 16-May-15 18:24:43
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

I'm wired with ps4.

On hh5 setting up a dmz what ip on hh5 do I us ehas it got be in routers range think from 64 to 254 or outside of its range.

Was trying play cod and couldn't get on it on hh5 router log ip incoming blocked.

I do think to infinity suffers from peak time congestion. example downloading a demo 1.1 gigs took 4 to 5 mins at 10am in afternoon same demo 15-20 mins.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sat 16-May-15 18:52:27
Print Post

As long as the ip address of the PS4 is allocated by the HH5, you choose which device to put in the DMZ so you would choose the ps4.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to