User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User codsallandy
(newbie) Fri 15-May-15 12:31:33
Print Post

BT Home hub 5 and changing provider

[link to this post]

I have been on BT Infinity fibre broadband since June 2014 using a BT Home Hub 5. Speeds are fine, about 37.4 download and 4.9 upload. When my introductory price offer ends and I'm out of contract I want to consider other fibre providers.
Please can those more knowledgeable than me advise me whether I will need to have a Fibre Modem installed to allow me to change provider as I don't have a separate modem with the Home Hub 5.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 15-May-15 15:43:05
Print Post

Re: BT Home hub 5 and changing provider

[re: codsallandy] [link to this post]

Depends on who you choose, the Sky and TalkTalk fibre devices have the VDSL2 modem built in. Those that don't should be engineer based installs or let you know you need to source an appropriate device e.g. the Billion 8800NL at £66 is a VDSL2 modem with router built in an 802.11n (AC version available for more money)

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Kr1s69
(knowledge is power) Wed 27-May-15 22:12:23
Print Post

[re: codsallandy] [link to this post]

Just to add that the HH5 will work on Plus.net, as they're owned by BT but quite a bit cheaper.

The HH5 is considerably better than the router they provide too smile

Kris

Plusnet
Ashington (Northumberland) Exchange

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 28-May-15 00:00:00
Print Post

[re: Kr1s69] [link to this post]

How do you set it up? Isn't it locked down?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 60000/16961kbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM
Standard User professor973
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 28-May-15 00:46:24
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I have an unlocked Homehub, but when I was with Plusnet I used a locked down Homehub. There are a few BT resellers that it will work with and PN is one. There was a list on the web somewhere but cannot recall it now.

Standard User Kr1s69
(knowledge is power) Thu 28-May-15 19:18:03
Print Post

[re: professor973] [link to this post]

You just need to replace the generic BT username/password with your plusnet username and password.

I'm guessing it validates the domain (plusdsl.net in this case.)

It still gets automatic software updates too.

Kris

Plusnet
Ashington (Northumberland) Exchange
  Print Thread

Jump to