User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User alext05
(committed) Wed 10-Jun-15 08:48:29
Print Post

BT - aggressive junk mailer - very disappointed

[link to this post]

Called BT a couple of months ago to find out if they offered broadband only deals and if yes what that price would be. Was asked for my details. Two weeks later started receiving Infinity junk mail (no prior permission was obtained).

Called the number again. Asked to remove from the mailing list. Promised. Still getting junk mail.

Does anyone know who I need to log an official complain with, Ofcom or someone else?
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 10-Jun-15 08:52:13
Print Post

Re: BT - aggressive junk mailer - very disappointed

[re: alext05] [link to this post]

Does the email not have an unsubscribe option? It would be odd for a marketing email from a large UK company to not have that. Are you 100% certain they are actually coming from BT?
Standard User alext05
(committed) Wed 10-Jun-15 08:53:44
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Not email. Proper Royal Mail delivered snail mail.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 10-Jun-15 08:56:55
Print Post

Ah, sorry. Misunderstood. I don't know if the Mail Preference Service could do anything about this as it isn't directly junk mail but potentially off the back of a contact to them.

The other option I would suggest may be the Information Commissioner's Office as they are likely breaking DPA by using your personal details for marketing when you have specifically asked them to stop?
Standard User alext05
(committed) Wed 10-Jun-15 09:01:16
Print Post

Thanks for your suggestions. I'll investigate this but wanted to find out if anyone knew the sure route. I have registered with the mail preference service about 10 years ago, so don't get any junk mail, only once in a blue moon.

Edited by alext05 (Wed 10-Jun-15 09:01:39)

Standard User alext05
(committed) Wed 10-Jun-15 09:14:36
Print Post

Thanks again, ian72, for pointing in the right directions.

According to this - https://ico.org.uk/for-the-public/junk-mail/ - I need to write to them. Will send an email now and see what is going to happen.

Very disappointed with BT.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 10-Jun-15 09:17:27
Print Post

Looks like the right one. I had a feeling it was ICO but didn't have time to find the specific page. Good luck.
Standard User alext05
(committed) Wed 10-Jun-15 11:05:44
Print Post

Email sent. Got the reference number. Let's see what's going to happen.
Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 10-Jun-15 11:53:23
Print Post

In reply to a post by ian72:
I don't know if the Mail Preference Service could do anything about this as it isn't directly junk mail but potentially off the back of a contact to them.
The preference services do not apply to situations where you have established some sort of relationship with an organisation that has led to you being opted in to their marketing.

The correct approach is, as you suggested, to tell the organisation in question to update your marketing preferences to indicate that neither they nor any third parties they might share their marketing lists with have permission to send you mail (and, if you wish, call you on your landline, call you on your mobile, send you SMS and/or send you e-mail). If your request to update your marketing preferences is not acted on in a reasonable time, report the situation to the Information Commissioner's Office.

Standard User alext05
(committed) Wed 10-Jun-15 12:06:41
Print Post

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

Thanks, David. My only issue is how I could have possibly established a relationship by making a single phone call with an enquiry.

I no longer have line rental with BT and I believe they shouldn't have kept my details on their database for "longer than necessary" as advised by the Data Protection Act.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to