User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Symo85
(newbie) Fri 12-Jun-15 15:58:06
Print Post

BT home hub 4 - event log export?

[link to this post]

Hi all,

Is there a way to do an export of the event log on the BT home hub 4?

I've got BT ADSL and I think I'm connected to the Paddington exchange.

I've been having some terrible issues since about February, what I've discovered is that sometimes the line has a huge number of drop outs over a short period of time, and the line continually lowers it's speed until it gets stuck at about 200 kbps. This has happened a few times. First time it happened, it happened gradually, sometimes the sync was ok, others it wasn't, then it got to constantly being bad...called BT, in the end they reset the line and it came back right away (though I didn't know they were resetting the line (or what the actual issue was at that point), had spent time time not finding the master socket, as there wasn't a version with the test port in my flat (probably due to age), and they didn't tell me)...happened again, this time when I contacted BT the line was still unstable when BT did their tests, so booked an eng to come look at it (who didn't turn up the afternoon they said they would, and only after the time window passed and I called did I find that they ran over schedule that day and wouldn't be coming...but that's another story), he replaced the main socket in the house with a proper up to date socket which helps with the BT tests and had a test socket, he patched some corrosion he found at the junction to the block of flats, reset the line and away he went...all was fine...for a time...same thing happened again, contacted BT again...said the issue came back...they said there had been a number of drop outs and that caused the line to slow itself to try and compensate (and then I guess it just gets stuck), and a line reset would fix...and it did...for another few weeks...now it's happened again, and again they've reset the line...

Now I know what's happening I'd like to keep a better track of when drop outs happen etc, etc, but it's really annoying that A) I can seem to find a way to export the log (without literally going page by page (which are annoyingly short) and copy and paste; and B) the log only tracks a few days!

If I could quickly export the data I could keep better and longer track of things...

Thanks for any help

Cheers
Symo
Standard User jcym
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 12-Jun-15 22:55:03
Print Post

Re: BT home hub 4 - event log export?

[re: Symo85] [link to this post]

You could sign up with f8lure (it's free but they won't say no to a donation if you find them useful) and they ping your connection at regular intervals and you can graph the output for dropouts, latency etc. The only disadvantage with BT is having a dynamic IP means that it will change occasionally when you will need that you will have to update your settings at f8lure. But that aside it is an useful service.
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 12-Jun-15 23:13:05
Print Post

[re: jcym] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jcym:
The only disadvantage with BT is having a dynamic IP means that it will change occasionally when you will need that you will have to update your settings at f8lure.

Or use a dynamic DNS service. Unlike ThinkBroadband, f8lure supports hostnames.

Oliver.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jcym
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 13-Jun-15 00:14:42
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

Good tip, though are there any decent free ones left as it's a while since I looked but the last time I did the only one I could find was very limited. It might even have been for use with f8lure when I first joined BT but I finally got the issue sorted so no longer needed f8lure but it is an useful service for anyone having connection problems.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sat 13-Jun-15 00:22:33
Print Post

[re: jcym] [link to this post]

There are plenty https://www.dnsomatic.com/wiki/supportedservices
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 13-Jun-15 00:39:10
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

AIUI RouterStatsLite works with both HH5A and HH5B. Is that right?

If it does, might it be an idea for the OP to buy one and use that combination? Might the behaviour of the noise margin and sync be more use than f8lure?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 60000/16961kbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sat 13-Jun-15 00:43:53
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Dont think so. RouterstatsHub Works with the 5A but not the 5B.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 13-Jun-15 00:55:09
Print Post

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
Dont think so. RouterstatsHub Works with the 5A but not the 5B.
Ummm. Odd that his site doesn't say that. How about an HH3 than? A or B.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 60000/16961kbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM
Standard User jcym
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 13-Jun-15 02:12:36
Print Post

Thanks batboy, I don't need them now but they might come in handy for others. But every one I have used in the past that is on the list and that used to offer free services either now offer a very limited free one, i.e. you have to renew your account periodically which might be OK for use with something like f8ure as you have to refresh that every month IIRC, or they now charge. Admittedly, I haven't looked at all of them as I no longer need one but that was pretty uch the same thing I found the last time I looked but fortunately the need for f8lure went away when my problem was finally solved so stopped looking..
  Print Thread

Jump to