User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User thinkpl
(newbie) Sun 09-Aug-15 21:53:18
Print Post

Connection to exchange at IP level failed. Internet down.

[link to this post]

I'm coming here to see if there are any experts who may have some insight into this.

My internet connection died at 17:45 Saturday 8th August. Now 10pm Sunday 9th.

I rebooted the HG612 and my Netgear N7000

I logged into the HG612 and saw the sync was OK as normal, but no IP connection to the exchange. This explains why my N7000 can't get a PPPoE connection.

Note : I've had a stable line for years, no cause to complain. No disconnects, all good.

I swapped the HG612 out for an ECI VDSL modem I have. DSL syncs, same problem tho. PPPoE can't connect through.

I powered down the HG612 for 10 minutes, and noticed something odd - the sync speed stayed the exact same (with no IP to the exchange) but the error list (FEC, etc) had NOT reset itself. I would expect the sync speed to change ever so slightly, which it has done every time I've had a power drop in the past, and I would also expect the HEC/CRC errors to reset. On the network side (Status/WAN/Network), ptm1.101 is blank, and getting little traffic (57 bytes total).

I also powered down the VDSL modem for 5 hours today. Same issue on startup.

Does this sound like the exchange end has got stuck somehow and my line needs a quick kick as it's not resetting itself?

Thanks everyone

Edited by thinkpl (Sun 09-Aug-15 22:10:29)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 09-Aug-15 23:04:54
Print Post

Re: Connection to exchange at IP level failed. Internet down

[re: thinkpl] [link to this post]

Time to report failed authentication to the ISP but highlight that you have sync lights showing connectivity

The PPPoE stuff is done much deeper in the network than the exchange

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 09-Aug-15 23:21:26
Print Post

How about a factory reset on the Netgear? Or try a previous router if you have one.

It's worth saying what this repeatable sync is, to see if it's a banding level.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 57584/13846kbps @ 600m. - BQM

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User thinkpl
(newbie) Mon 10-Aug-15 07:57:25
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for the clarification. Will do!

It's BT Infinity. The online chat support was determined to go through the HomeHub checking but I've never used one in 5 years of having the service. Takes a bit of careful explaining.

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Time to report failed authentication to the ISP but highlight that you have sync lights showing connectivity

The PPPoE stuff is done much deeper in the network than the exchange

Edited by thinkpl (Mon 10-Aug-15 08:00:10)

Standard User thinkpl
(newbie) Mon 10-Aug-15 07:58:28
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I hadn't gone down that far as the VDSL modem itself wasn't connecting, but good shout. I have an old Netgear in a drawer, I'll dig that out.

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
How about a factory reset on the Netgear? Or try a previous router if you have one.

It's worth saying what this repeatable sync is, to see if it's a banding level.

Edited by thinkpl (Mon 10-Aug-15 07:58:57)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 10-Aug-15 11:01:20
Print Post

If you have sync to the cabinet from the modem, which you say you have, then that is all it does. It doesn't "connect" to anything. The router, or your computer networking if you use a direct connection to the modem, does the PPP.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 57584/13846kbps @ 600m. - BQM
  Print Thread

Jump to