User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User alext05
(committed) Sun 16-Aug-15 14:14:59
Print Post

BT TV and YouView + player question

[link to this post]

I am planning to move to BT in the next couple of months (for a number of reasons) and am interested in their YouView+ set top box (I need a new PVR).

Am I right to think that if I subscribe to BT TV for twelve months on their Entertainment Package at £7.50 per month, I will:

1. Get the PVR for free
2. There would be no set up costs; and
3. After 12 months, if I stop using BT TV, downgrade to their basic package or move to another ISP, I can keep the PVR and not pay anything to BT.

Many thanks.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 16-Aug-15 17:33:46
Print Post

Re: BT TV and YouView + player question

[re: alext05] [link to this post]

No set up costs varies depending on which broadband and offer that is running at time

Yes box is yours after 12 months but if you stop bt tv then obviously some premium iptv switch off but freeview pvr side continues

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 16-Aug-15 17:44:02
Print Post

Beware! The basic subscription package only gets now gets you a basic STB and not a PVR.

BT Infinity 1 (unlimited)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User alext05
(committed) Sun 16-Aug-15 17:45:42
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for confirming. That's very helpful and means that is exactly what I am going to do. It makes more sense to me than paying a connection fee on Infinity 2 for a box that cannot record and hence would be of no use not only during the contract but also after.
Standard User alext05
(committed) Sun 16-Aug-15 17:52:13
Print Post

[re: gomezz] [link to this post]

Thanks. I am aware of that and that's why I am planning to go for the Entertainment package.

It will work out cheaper at £7.50 per month over twelve months than buying the same PVR from anywhere else (currently £139.00 from amazon for example) while getting the benefits of the entertainment package for a year and of course BT TV itself, including BT Sport.
Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 16-Aug-15 19:25:19
Print Post

HD is extra (£4 per month) though.

I seem to have come out of this with luck as not only did I start my basic package sub when they were sending out PVRs I also got one of the older, unreliable ones which died on me after one year and had it replaced at no charge with a newer G4 model which just happened to be the only working box the installer had on his van. smile

Standard User alext05
(committed) Sun 16-Aug-15 19:58:06
Print Post

Good point.

£4 per month is for HD Extra (ie Premium Channels and BT Sport in HD) it seems. The usual Freeview ones are in HD anyway without extra pay.

Still, something to think about.

How are you finding the G4 in operation? Is it quiet? Seems to be recommended by Which?
Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 16-Aug-15 21:40:59
Print Post

Never had a particular problem with any PVR noise-wise as I tend to have the sound system cranked up quite high. Can hear it creak into action on start up as the disk spins up and that is about it.

But, it is a Youview box, and in my opinion it has a horrid, clunky user interface, which is especially ironic given that a major design aim was to make it easy for novice PVR users to operate. If it wasn't for the motorbike racing I wouldn't bother with it.

Standard User alext05
(committed) Mon 17-Aug-15 11:33:30
Print Post

Thanks. I'll keep an eye on any BT hard-to-resist offers now, to see if the grass is greener in BTland.
Standard User Kr1s69
(knowledge is power) Mon 17-Aug-15 22:17:05
Print Post

Note that to make it even more complex, BT's package pricing via cash back sites such as topcashback and quidco can be different to going via BT direct. It's not simply the standard pricing with cash back as you'd expect.

I found the G4 box to be quiet (i had the plusnet version, 95% the same box) but have now switched to BT for the UltraHD package.. Whilst this is £5 more than the standard entertainment package (£15 instead of £10) the extra £5 gets you HD for entertainment and BT Sport channels, the new UHD channel as well as a newer box with 1TB hard drive instead of 500GB. This box has a fan (the G4 doesn't) but i've not noticed the difference in the week I've had it.

I got £180 cash back whilst paying £10 for Infinity 1 and £15 for TV. Unfortunately i just missed out on additional sainsburys vouchers which seem to stop and start all the time.

Kris

Plusnet
Ashington (Northumberland) Exchange
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to