User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User ijk571
(newbie) Wed 19-Aug-15 18:23:57
Print Post

Infinity 2 Pricing query.

[link to this post]

Hi,
I had this email from BT recently.......

"Hello,

We'd like to boost your broadband speed by upgrading you to an even faster Infinity package for less than 50p a month more than you're currently paying.

With Unlimited BT Infinity 2, your download speed could double from up to 38Mb to up to 76Mb, and your upload speed could go from up to 9Mb to up to 19Mb. Plus, there's the added bonus that your BT Cloud online storage allowance will also go up from 5GB to 50GB.

It's easy, all you need to do is take out a new 12-month contract and continue paying your usual line rental."

How will this affect my existing Line Rental Saver Package which is paid up front until i think January 2016.

Will I have to pay the difference or will they take out another year's rental and refund the remainder of the existing one.
Anyone any experience of how this will work? Or is it just the broadband cost side of things that are changed, not the line rental. Confused crazy

Also, I was getting 7mb before Infinity and now it's 16-17mb. I am a way from the exchange, hence the slowish speed. Will Infinity 2 actually give me a noticable speed increase if my speed is a bit marginal anyway? Is there any way of checking beforehand?

Thanks.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 19-Aug-15 18:30:50
Print Post

Re: Infinity 2 Pricing query.

[re: ijk571] [link to this post]

Are you sure it was really from BT and not a Phishing email looking like it was from BT?

Because it's garbage. I hope you didn't click any links.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57970/13958kbps @ 600m. - BQM

Edited by RobertoS (Wed 19-Aug-15 18:31:13)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 19-Aug-15 18:32:38
Print Post

What does https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html say for the FTTC Range A and FTTC Range B when you enter your telephone number?

If its below 38 Mbps as a middle figure very likely that the upgrade will not benefit you, and I'd be a little wary as current Infinity 2 pricing is £30/month, Infinity is £12.50 for new customers (so call and get that offer maybe). Thinking this may be a scam email - people do craft surprisingly good ones to grab data.

If its real then the line rental saver should be unaffected

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ijk571
(newbie) Wed 19-Aug-15 18:52:07
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

bt.athome@ecomm.bt.com is the email address it came in from. Hovering over the links shows the ecomm.bt.com domain as well. So it looks genuine?

These are the terms and conditions -

Terms and conditions

*Calls of up to an hour to 01, 02, 03 excluding the Channel Islands. Excludes indirect access numbers and dial-up internet access. Other exclusions apply. Inclusive calls up to an hour, redial within 60 minutes to avoid charges.

1. Available by invitation only. For existing BT Broadband customers. There's a 12-month minimum term and you'll need to pay BT line rental. Current price £24.85 a month on a 12-month contract (rising to £26.55 a month on 20 September 2015). Non offer price currently: £28 a month from month 13 (rising to £29.90 a month on 20 September 2015). Includes Unlimited Infinity 2 and Unlimited UK* Weekend Calls. You'll need to pay by Direct Debit. Subject to availability, minimum line speed and computer specifications. Terms apply. Prices may change during the contract period. See our terms and conditions at bt.com/terms

2. BT Cloud: You'll need to activate the service yourself and you can upgrade your storage allowance. This service will be stopped and your files deleted if you don't use it for 90 days. Terms apply, see bt.com/cloud/terms BT doesn't support activities which infringe the copyrights of the holder.

FTTC Range A (Clean) 23.8 16.5 3.7 2 -- Available
FTTC Range B (Impacted) 18.4 8.1 3.4 1 -- Available

Edited by ijk571 (Wed 19-Aug-15 18:57:58)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 19-Aug-15 19:01:23
Print Post

In which case an upgrade to Infinity is just going to cost you 50p more per month for the extra 45GB of cloud storage.

You are not going to get any more speed from the line, so time to drop email in bin and NOT click any of the links just in case.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Wed 19-Aug-15 19:01:24
Print Post

In reply to a post by ijk571:
FTTC Range A (Clean) 23.8 16.5 3.7 2 -- Available
FTTC Range B (Impacted) 18.4 8.1 3.4 1 -- Available
No, Infinity 2 won't give you a speed increase at all.
Standard User ijk571
(newbie) Wed 19-Aug-15 19:19:18
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Many thanks
That's been binned.....

smile

It begs the question then will many people be able to benefit from Infinity 2?

Edited by ijk571 (Wed 19-Aug-15 19:20:36)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 19-Aug-15 19:24:34
Print Post

Depends on what they ordered in the first place, don't have my stats to hand, but off top of head, probably 75% of FTTC lines will connect at over 40 Mbps but under half of people actually order the faster variant in the first place, due to the £10 to £15 per month differential.

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Wed 19-Aug-15 19:25:42
Print Post

It depends on the estimates from the DSL checker. If they are above 40 Mbps, then yes.
Standard User vimto_girl
(committed) Wed 19-Aug-15 19:31:48
Print Post

It looks genuine to me, but you would probably get a much better deal (on Infinity 1 or 2) by ringing retentions.

The broadband & calls contract runs 12 months from when is agreed, you get free caller display for this period too. You need to keep line rental with BT though to maintain these prices - the line rental saver already paid will stay in place, when it runs out you can either pay monthly or renew it again.
  Print Thread

Jump to