User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User loadbang
(regular) Wed 26-Aug-15 10:02:55
Print Post

PPPoE on ADSL2

[link to this post]

Recently purchased an Asus RT-AC68U. I'm using an Netgear DG834Nv2 as a modem. However, I cannot get PPPoE to work. Not even when using the Netgear in router+modem mode without the Asus.

I'm pretty sure PPPoE used to work on BT Broadband? Any assistance with configuration please.

I have called BT, "we can only support BT Homehubs so we cannot help you".
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 26-Aug-15 10:17:12
Print Post

Re: PPPoE on ADSL2

[re: loadbang] [link to this post]

One presumes if you use the DG834N in PPPoA mode that things work?

If that works but you cannot get the PPPoE bridge mode running on the 834 then it may be an oddity with the 834 rather than the network not supporting.

If end result is trying to improve wireless speeds, try flipping the Asus into its access point mode which will turn off the router side, and you can use the DG834 as the primary router (but turn off its wireless and use the Asus for that)

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User loadbang
(regular) Wed 26-Aug-15 10:35:59
Print Post

Appears Infinity is now available for me.

Off topic, kinda. Can the Hub 5 be used as a modem? Or will I need to request or buy a VDSL modem?

I'm trying to avoid a double NAT environment so I can fully use the features of the Asus. AP mode removes many of the features.

Edited by loadbang (Wed 26-Aug-15 10:53:02)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User johnjburness
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 27-Aug-15 06:33:11
Print Post

In reply to a post by loadbang:
Can the Hub 5 be used as a modem? Or will I need to request or buy a VDSL modem?

From experience I can confirm that the HH5 operates both as a VDSL Modem & an ADSL Modem.

In fact, when I was switched over to Infinity, the HH5 simply detected the change without any intervention from myself.

Regards,
John
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 27-Aug-15 08:42:17
Print Post

If you mean can the HH5 be configured as VDSL2 bridge modem with single IP forwarded to the Asus then no.

If you want to use the Asus as the router probably best to buy an unlocked HG612 to use as the modem

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to