User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User picky_user
(member) Thu 03-Sep-15 11:10:38
Print Post

Unlocked modem for bt infinity

[link to this post]

Hi Guys

I've moved to bt infinity due to my dad wanting sky sports. I would prefer to have a separate openreach modem so I can use the openreach hub 5 as a free wireless access point for the garden/garage workshop.

I have also read online you need to match the openreach modem with your cabinet. How do I know what cabinet I have?
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 03-Sep-15 11:22:03
Print Post

Re: Unlocked modem for bt infinity

[re: picky_user] [link to this post]

This checker tells you the PCP (phone cabinet) number for the phone number. The FTTC cabinet will be near it. Usually within 50 metres and almost certainly under 80 metres.

Pictures of cabinets.

However, only the Huawei HG612 modem is easily unlocked. The ECI one need soldering work on the circuit board - not for the faint-hearted. For most of use that means only the Huawei is available.

The Hub 5 isn't Openreach. It is BT Consumer (Retail).

Note that when unlocked, the HG612 can be kept in bridge mode or changed to being a VDSL2 router. It isn't clear what you envisage doing. Where would you put the Hub 5 and how would your dad connect?

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57970/13958kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User picky_user
(member) Sat 05-Sep-15 18:15:21
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I now know via the checker am served by cabinet 45. The plan is to have the openreach modem connect upto the cisco router I have. I then have an 8 port netgear switch which the youview box will plug into.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 05-Sep-15 20:21:19
Print Post

That sounds fine.

Get an HG612:

- unlock it, (dead easy so no point in paying more for one that's already done);

- keep it in bridge mode, (it is actually a two port VDSL2 router);

- make sure it is on the same subnet as your Cisco, and connect its LAN 2 to a Cisco LAN port or perhaps to one on the switch. That makes accessing its GUI and also using telnet from any machine on the network a doddle;

- disable DHCP on the Home Hub if that's possible, otherwise you have a problem, and there's your extension WAP.

- if DHCP cannot be disabled on it, consider a cheapish WAP instead.
Strikeouts due to BatBoy's post.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57970/13958kbps @ 600m. - BQM

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 05-Sep-15 22:34:42)

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sat 05-Sep-15 22:22:49
Print Post

One problem may be getting multicast to work on the Cisco, but see https://community.bt.com/t5/YouView-Boxes/Cisco-1812... for example.

You can turn off DHCP on a HH5 and turn into a WAP easily.
  Print Thread

Jump to