User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User fronty
(learned) Mon 14-Sep-15 21:17:04
Print Post

Dare I switch from PlusNet to BT?

[link to this post]

Have been a happy PN customer for years. FTTC has finally arrived in our village so considering upgrading. PlusNet are offering me an Unlimited 40/20 package for £25/month, equivalent offering from BT seems to be £20/month.

Dare I switch for the sake of saving a fiver a month?

Fronty

Ex-Demon, happy PlusNet customer!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 14-Sep-15 21:23:57
Print Post

Re: Dare I switch from PlusNet to BT?

[re: fronty] [link to this post]

Plusnet don't sell a 40/20 product any longer its 40/2 (they dropped the higher upload a few months ago.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User fronty
(learned) Mon 14-Sep-15 21:40:17
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

That's a bit worrying, when I log into member centre this is the spec of the unlimited fibre package they quote::

Unlimited Usage Allowance
40Mb download speed (estimated)
20Mb upload speed (estimated)
18-month contract
Designed for demanding users
Broadband activation £25.00 - choose a broadband and phone package and you'll get free activation

Maybe I need to post this query in the PN forum.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User fronty
(learned) Mon 14-Sep-15 21:44:51
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Just checked their home page, looks like new customers only get 2Mb, maybe 20Mb is only available to existing customers.
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Mon 14-Sep-15 21:54:02
Print Post

In reply to a post by fronty:
Just checked their home page, looks like new customers only get 2Mb, maybe 20Mb is only available to existing customers.
The 40/20 is no longer sold, those who already have it, will keep it, unless they agree differently by taking out a new contract,you maybe able to renew the contract, though what benefits this would offer, if any i don't know, you maybe better off sticking with what you have got on a rolling monthly contract , no tie ins
This i gotta get the best deal /cheapest bb mentality i don't really understand, Save money on line rental and calls that i can understand, I also hate this bundling of voice and data,

Edited by tommy45 (Mon 14-Sep-15 21:58:13)

Standard User tthom
(committed) Mon 14-Sep-15 22:05:10
Print Post

Also BT is only a 12 month contract to Plusnet's 18

Broadband Providers since 2005 Aol/O2/Virgin Media(Cable)/BE/BT/BT-INFINITY
[img]http://www.speedtest.net/result/3798886040.png[/img]
Standard User fronty
(learned) Mon 14-Sep-15 22:16:18
Print Post

[re: tthom] [link to this post]

I'm more interested in quality of service and features, currently I have a static IP, various servers running including http/https/ftp/FTPS/SSH and a permanent VPN into our office, so if I switch to BT and lose any of this it will cause me issues, I am assuming I can still do all this if I upgrade to a PN fibre product. I may also need to do IPv6 soon.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 14-Sep-15 22:29:01
Print Post

Estimated speeds are different from the package speeds the key giveaway will be the monthly fee

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Mon 14-Sep-15 22:33:39
Print Post

In reply to a post by fronty:
I'm more interested in quality of service and features, currently I have a static IP, various servers running including http/https/ftp/FTPS/SSH and a permanent VPN into our office, so if I switch to BT and lose any of this it will cause me issues, I am assuming I can still do all this if I upgrade to a PN fibre product. I may also need to do IPv6 soon.
And Plusnet provides a good level of quality of service?
Standard User Psyman
(newbie) Mon 14-Sep-15 22:48:51
Print Post

Ironically I was in the exact opposite position to you about a month ago!

I was really happy with my BT FTTC 80/20 service and got rock solid 75 down and 19 up on the various speedtesters (inc. TBBx1 and HTTPx6 tests), and good pings (15ms). However I was less happy with BT's price increases and, after working out how much I was spending a year (about £650 after the increase), decided to look for something cheaper and after much contemplation switched to PN.

The PN 80/20 service has so far been really good off-peak, however during main peak hours speed tests show significant reductions in bandwidth (sometimes down to about 20-ish down) and I've suffered occasional buffering whilst streaming netflix & amazon prime video, which NEVER happened when I was with BT. Then of course there was last weeks PN outage, but let's not dwell on that. Bottom line is I'm saving about £185 on what I would be splashing out if I'd stuck with BT and, as I work shifts so use the broadband mainly offpeak, I'm happy to live with occasional slowness.

I guess the old adage is true... you do get what you pay for - and I'd happily tart myself back to BT after the PN 18 months contract is up..... imho BTs service is clearly superior to PNs in terms of bandwidth / pings and absence of congestion / traffic shaping.

Edited by Psyman (Mon 14-Sep-15 22:56:56)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to