User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User gt94sss2
(experienced) Wed 23-Sep-15 18:24:24
Print Post

BT to Deploy IPv6 across entire network by December 2016

[link to this post]

BT’s Consumer division has just confirmed that they intend to deploy the Internet Protocol v6 (IPv6) Internet addressing standard across their entire network by December 2016.

The operator informed the 2nd UK IPv6 Council Meeting in London today of their plans, which will see the “new” Internet addressing standard deployed to 50% of their national network in the United Kingdom by April 2016 and then 100% by December 2016. The deployment will officially get underway this year with a very “gentle start“.

Customers with one of BT’s latest HomeHub 5 broadband routers will be the first to get the service and the ISP is also looking at an upgrade for their existing HomeHub 4..

More at http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2015/09/uk-isp-...
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Wed 23-Sep-15 20:15:09
Print Post

Re: BT to Deploy IPv6 across entire network by December 2016

[re: gt94sss2] [link to this post]

they said they would do it in 2014 and it never happened.

Dec 2016 is almost 18 months away, why do they need so long when they been testing it since 2 years ago,.

Sky Fibre Pro BQM - IPv4
Standard User Kr1s69
(knowledge is power) Wed 23-Sep-15 21:03:24
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

Surely it's the sensible way to update their system when it has millions of customers on it? Any test has been only with a limited number of users. There's no need to hurry really when they have enough IPv4 addresses so 15 months seems a reasonable timeframe.

Kris

BT Infinity
Ashington (Northumberland) Exchange

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 24-Sep-15 00:14:22
Print Post

[re: Kr1s69] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Kr1s69:
There's no need to hurry really when they have enough IPv4 addresses so 15 months seems a reasonable timeframe.

That would seem to imply when IPv6 is enabled on a connection, the IPv4 address on dual-stack will be a shared one via CGN. Otherwise, introducing IPv6 does not reduce IPv4 usage at all.

Oliver.
Standard User hypertony
(experienced) Thu 24-Sep-15 08:39:30
Print Post

In other news, AAISP has been offering IPv6 since 2002.

Many ISPs out there are wayyyyy behind!

- Tony Sutton
- Check out my Ford Focus ST170 site | View my Car's Dashcam Videos
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Thu 24-Sep-15 11:28:06
Print Post

[re: Kr1s69] [link to this post]

I misread, seems they starting way before then and expect 50% done halfway through 2016.

Sky Fibre Pro BQM - IPv4
Standard User ZenUserJP
(member) Thu 24-Sep-15 12:02:07
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Chrysalis:
they said they would do it in 2014 and it never happened.

Dec 2016 is almost 18 months away, why do they need so long when they been testing it since 2 years ago,.

Indeed. Zen are about complete with their trial I think. or will be soon.
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 30-Sep-15 11:31:45
Print Post

My next door neighbour was sent a HH5 when they upgraded from infinity limited to infinity 1 unlimited. I set it up for them, but to be honest it was worse than their home hub 3, Phones and tablets not connecting to the Wi-fi, Wi-fi signal being lower than the HH3. So I set up the old HH3 and BTOR modem again.

So is the modem IPV6 compatible and if so can they just not carry on with that they have got or will they have to use that awful HH5? My self I would prefer it if they went for another provider.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro and Linux , laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User mlmclaren
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 30-Sep-15 11:42:18
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

My findings have been that the modem HG612 is not IPv6 compatible BUT as the modem is only bridging the VDSL connection to the WAN of a router it is only the router (the equipment logging in PPP session) that needs to be capable.

I would assume BT would be doing some work to make HH3's capable as I'm pretty sure there is a lot of them still in use though the number of those on Fibre is small so might see issues there.

It might be that HH3 will get an update that will allow the DSL modem to get IPv6 but they might not support IPv6 over the WAN input on HH3 and might reserve that for HH5 only (for FTTP)
Standard User gt94sss2
(experienced) Wed 30-Sep-15 11:49:28
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

I have only been using a HH5 for about 6 weeks and it seems fine to me - its my first HH - so you may want to plug your neighbours back in (even behind the OR modem) and let it update its firmware to see if that resolves the problems.

No idea if a HH3 (which I never used) will be IP6 compatible but BT will have to have some sort of migration plan for it and the OR modem given the number out there..

The HH5 firmware already includes references to IPv6 even if its not active yet
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to