User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User keith969
(regular) Tue 06-Oct-15 12:33:55
Print Post

Changing from Infinity2 to Infinity1

[link to this post]

Back in July FTTC finally arrived in our village. Have been on ADSL with BT for the last 6 years. I signed up for the 80/20 unlimited product, however due to the fact that I'm not connected to the nearest cab (about 100m away) but one about 500m away, I only get speeds of 49/8 on average. Question is, can I downgrade to the 40/10 and will this give me that speed or something even slower? And am I locked in to a contract due to upgrading, with presumably an excess chargge is I downgrade?
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 06-Oct-15 12:54:35
Print Post

Re: Changing from Infinity2 to Infinity1

[re: keith969] [link to this post]

You will be locked into a contract and BT may not allow you to downgrade. However, if you did downgrade then you would get your current speeds capped (so in your case 40/8).

Before you signed up did you check what your estimated speeds would be?
Standard User keith969
(regular) Tue 06-Oct-15 13:26:15
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

At the time no, as I thought the nearest cab was not far, but it turns out I'm not on that cab. If I was capped to 40/8 I'd be happy as that's not much different from what I get now. And it would save quite a bit.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 06-Oct-15 14:21:15
Print Post

It will. It is a cap not a pro-rata speed.

Just thought, BT might not charge you for breaking the contract if you are willing to sign up for another 18 months. Either ring them or use web chat and see what they will do.

Edited by ian72 (Tue 06-Oct-15 14:22:22)

Standard User mlmclaren
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 06-Oct-15 15:08:24
Print Post

BT should of given you an estimate when you signed up or upgraded... they also provide a guaranteed figure too...

depending on the estimate figure your where given you may be able to downgrade without any issues.
Standard User Kaufhof
(experienced) Fri 09-Oct-15 18:53:14
Print Post

[re: mlmclaren] [link to this post]

they also provide a guaranteed figure too...

Eh............? I didnít notice this in my case!

BTBroadband Infinity 1
Standard User NaNook
(freechataholic) Tue 13-Oct-15 13:22:08
Print Post

I was in a similar situation to you.

Engineering spent a few hours trying to work out what was going on as, it appearedc to him that I should have been one of the first in line from the cab, but because there was a crossover a little down the road from me, the houses on my side are actually last in line.

As I did not get the estimated speeds, I was on request downgraded to 1 and a further £7 discount added to my bill for the first year.
Standard User GonnaBiteBack
(newbie) Tue 13-Oct-15 15:48:17
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

My own argument is that 'If' BT enter into a contract to provide a customer with say, BB Infinity 2 package, then surely the onus lies with BT to ensure the infrastructure to deliver the contracted package actually exists, and If it later transpires that the provider BT, physically couldn't ever hope to deliver the contracted package of 'Infinity 2' speeds due to the limited hardware/faulty hardware etc that they had in place, then surely they are knowingly mis-selling a product? This would be considered illegal wouldn't it or at the very least, cause to make a contract null and void?
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 13-Oct-15 15:55:47
Print Post

[re: GonnaBiteBack] [link to this post]

Infinity 2 speeds are "up to 78 Mbps" - so where is te mis-selling? The OP had 49 Mbps when connected ... which is above the top of the basic Infinity package. What, if anything have BT done wrong?

The OP is the one who has decided that the small increment over a capped 40Mbps service is not worth the extra.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User GonnaBiteBack
(newbie) Tue 13-Oct-15 16:01:23
Print Post

[re: mlmclaren] [link to this post]

your comments are correct about the initial engineer installation speeds supposedly being the 'stick in the ground' marker to gauge your future BB performance on, but should you mention this 'marker' to customer services when querying problem speeds considerably lower than expected, they will tell you that the 'marker' is just an 'up to' figure rather than a service level figure.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to