User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User UKconfederate
(newbie) Mon 19-Oct-15 13:55:28
Print Post

BT Internet price increase middle of 12 month contract

[link to this post]

Hi all,

Just asking for some general advice, I took out BT unlimited ADSL broadband on the 30th April 2015 (activation date) with a 12 month contract. The figure I was told would be £13 / month for the 12 months then £19 on month 13. However, I've just received my latest BT phone bill and my broadband has now increased to £13.90 / month, is this legal and can I leave now mid contract without penalty?

On a side note, I've also noticed that the 12 month contract I took out for my 'free' BT Sport, which also started on the 30th April, has had the HD option increased from £3 to £4 / month. Again, am I able to remove this and get out of this contract as well?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 19-Oct-15 14:16:15
Print Post

Re: BT Internet price increase middle of 12 month contract

[re: UKconfederate] [link to this post]

BT should have informed you of the increases and given you a grace period where you could leave the contract.

If you didn't get this then complain. If you did get it then your grace period is almost certainly now over. Even if you did get it then as you have multiple services you might find you couldn't leave one without leaving others (and the only ones you could leave without penalty would be the ones that specifically had the price increases).
Standard User BuckleZ
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 20-Oct-15 10:17:11
Print Post

Emails, letters and information was on bills from BT since mid summer regarding the price increases, and allowing customers to leave wiithout being held to term.

This period is now over.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(newbie) Tue 20-Oct-15 14:45:44
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Thanks for the replies.

I did receive emails at the time explaining that my phone line rental & call packages would be increasing, as these aren't in a 12 month contract I didn't think no more about it. However, I never received anything about my broadband or BT sport HD package increasing though.

Anyway, I decided to phone BT last night and ask what was going on. It was explained that my broadband is still £13/month and that it was the call package that had increased (they had bunched the two together on my bill, previously separate). As the call package I'd had before the broadband, this was not in the 12 month contract period & as such, they claimed they could increase it (sneaky way of doing it).

I also asked about the BT Sport HD pack increase and was told this is a 'bolt on' and the 12 month contract didn't apply to this, so upon finding out this bit of information, I cancelled it whilst on the phone.
Standard User Sylcol
(member) Sat 24-Oct-15 12:41:57
Print Post

Not impressed with BT.
When I joined them part of the attraction was the free BT sport via app on my iPad.
After three months into contract they decided to charge £5 a month for this.
I thought it would have to remain free for the twelve month contract as this was what I had signed for.
Turns out it is all in the small print. Contracts only seem to work for the provider and not the customer!
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sat 24-Oct-15 18:08:02
Print Post

[re: Sylcol] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Sylcol:
Not impressed with BT.
When I joined them part of the attraction was the free BT sport via app on my iPad.
After three months into contract they decided to charge £5 a month for this.
I thought it would have to remain free for the twelve month contract as this was what I had signed for.
Turns out it is all in the small print. Contracts only seem to work for the provider and not the customer!

Did you read the Ts&Cs before you signed? Obviously not, or you would have realised.

It is not a case of the contract working for the provider, it works for anyone who reads, understands and accepts what is in the contract they are signing.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User Sylcol
(member) Mon 26-Oct-15 11:21:03
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Of course you are correct.

I was blinded by the £8 plus line rental per month with evening and weekend calls!
(newbie) Tue 03-Nov-15 09:57:56
Print Post

[re: Sylcol] [link to this post]

In my case I didn't get to read the conditions of contract as I signed up via a phone call. I was querying an 'obscure' charge on my phone bill that suddenly appeared, after sorting that I was offered broadband and 'free' BT sports for 12 months.

On hearing this and saving me the best part of £12/month I decided to take up their offer right then and there on the phone, the lady at the other end of the phone never mentioned anything about mid-contract price hikes. I now wish I had recorded the phone call and maybe I could have used that against getting any price rises mid-contract? Oh & before anyone mentions it, I never received any email/letter with the terms and conditions.

I was miffed at the time but even with the mid-contract price hike, I'm still saving myself well over ten pounds a month from my previous contract. Oh well, lesson learned not to trust BT, once contract expires I will be off to pastures new.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Tue 03-Nov-15 10:41:10
Print Post

Did you try calling the Loyalty Team on 0800 587 7216 to complain and see if they can do anything about it?
Standard User Andrue
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 03-Nov-15 11:55:57
Print Post

In reply to a post by UKconfederate:
I was miffed at the time but even with the mid-contract price hike, I'm still saving myself well over ten pounds a month from my previous contract. Oh well, lesson learned not to trust BT, once contract expires I will be off to pastures new.
This kind of thing is not unique to BT. I would not use it as a reason to switch to someone else.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to