User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User zrerz
(committed) Wed 28-Oct-15 15:29:44
Print Post

Home hub 5 replacement

[link to this post]

Hi all,
Sorry if this has been asked before, but I seek your help and advice
I have BT FTTC and home hub 5, getting roughly 75mbs down and 18 up, but the hubs 5gh signal is mostly off, despite constant restarts.
Is there an alternative you can recommend?
I use it mostly for gaming on PS4 and Xbox one, so looking for something that has no NAT problems
My son has his pc in the back bedroom on a BT a/c dongle, so would like to continue using that so looking for an a/c modem/combined router
What would you recommend.
Plus, how do you set up the new one, regarding bt user name and password, where do I get this as I spoke to bt helpdesk, but no help there as far as getting user name/password and settings to input on new device.
I don't have bt vision so no worries about that.
Many thanks in advance for your help.

zrerz.

BTInfinity 2

Edited by zrerz (Wed 28-Oct-15 15:31:43)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 28-Oct-15 16:02:08
Print Post

Re: Home hub 5 replacement

[re: zrerz] [link to this post]

If the HH5 is handling the FTTC side and router stuff and only problem is wireless then adding a wireless access point that can sit on the end of an Ethernet cable in a better location ofr 5GHz wireless signals (which don't travel as far as the 2.4 GHz signal)

Access points have no NAT issues, but a word of advice for stable latency running games consoles is best done using an Ethernet connection - an example device is the Asus EA-N66

If wanting to go all the way and replace the HH5 then you can go from the Netgear Nighthawk at £155 down to this TPLink modem/router at £59

On the settings there is no unique username or password a generic one will work so

Username: bthomehub@btbroadband.com
Password: <literally anything>
VLAN: 101
VPI: 1
VCI: 32

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Wed 28-Oct-15 16:03:10
Print Post

Here you go

http://www.amazon.co.uk/D7800-100UKS-Nighthawk-Wirel...

The username is bthomehub@btbroadband.com with any password.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 28-Oct-15 18:17:26
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
VPI: 1
VCI: 32

Why a VPI and VCI for FTTC? These are ATM parameters and FTTx uses PTM. Is this because one or more of your suggested devices require a VPI and VCI to be filled in even if it is unused?

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 28-Oct-15 20:55:19
Print Post

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

Possibly not - blames old crib sheet

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User zrerz
(committed) Thu 29-Oct-15 14:04:41
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for all the help everyone, decided to follow batboys advice and will be ordering the netgear from Amazon next Tuesday, will report back here afterwards on how it went

zrerz.

BTInfinity 2
Standard User keith969
(member) Thu 29-Oct-15 14:11:33
Print Post

HH5 5GHz signal will probably only work in the same room as the hub. At least that's my case, I have brick walls and find that 5GHz doesn't go through them.

Better to split the SSIDs for 2.4 / 5GHz and have the remote devices use the 2.4GHz SSID.

Having said that, the HH5 wifi signal degraded from HH3 which was 2.4GHz only but rock solid...
  Print Thread

Jump to