User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User fredfox
(experienced) Fri 20-Nov-15 14:33:58
Print Post

HG612 ok for FTTP

[link to this post]

Just discovered that I can order FTTP smile We've been on ADSL2 for a while getting on average 3.5mbit. BT start the work to bring FTTC here quite a long time ago but due to TPON infrastructure and the subsequent copper overlay, it got put back, hence why we're getting FTTP.

Only two ISP's are offering FTTP here, BT and Zen, so given the costs we're looking at staying with BT and opting for the 200Mbps option.

I don't want to use the HH5 I think BT will supply, I just want a MODEM. I've got a HG612 that I messed about with on ADSL2 ages ago, I don't know if there is a newer version out now but the one I have has 3B on the back. Is this going to work for FTTP at 200Mbps or will I need to get something else - if so any suggestions?

Or am I completely wrong and BT so something else for FTTP?

Pipex
Nildram
UKFSN
Be *
Now -> Xilo / Uno (and BT)

Still no fibre frown
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Fri 20-Nov-15 14:43:51
Print Post

Re: HG612 ok for FTTP

[re: fredfox] [link to this post]

Openreach supply an ONT which is equivalent to a modem. The HH5 will be ok until you figure out what router you want. (Better if it's a Type A).
Standard User fredfox
(experienced) Fri 20-Nov-15 15:03:53
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Excellent, thank you.

Pipex
Nildram
UKFSN
Be *
Now -> Xilo / Uno (and BT)

Still no fibre frown

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User PaulKirby
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 20-Nov-15 22:17:47
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
Openreach supply an ONT which is equivalent to a modem. The HH5 will be ok until you figure out what router you want. (Better if it's a Type A).
I was wondering what exactly gets installed by BT Openreach for FTTP, thanks.

I knew they installed the ONT + Battery Backup and new face plate with the copper / fibre switch (FVA) etc, but wasn't really sure if the ONT had a router in it.

We have a Fritz!Box 3390 modem/router (just need to find the power brick) and I wasn't too sure if that would work, but reading the specs I think it might, not too sure if it would handle the full speeds though, but worth a try I say.

Paul
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 20-Nov-15 23:10:24
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

It doesn't have a router in the ONT. It presents an Ethernet socket to connect a router that has a WAN internet socket.

The Home Hub that BT Consumer provide has such a socket. Your Fritz!Box 3390 has gigabit LAN1 that can be used as a WAN port as well, so you can try both and see which works better for you.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59997/15142kbps @ 600m. - BQM

Edited by RobertoS (Fri 20-Nov-15 23:11:11)

Standard User PaulKirby
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 21-Nov-15 03:14:16
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
It doesn't have a router in the ONT. It presents an Ethernet socket to connect a router that has a WAN internet socket.

The Home Hub that BT Consumer provide has such a socket. Your Fritz!Box 3390 has gigabit LAN1 that can be used as a WAN port as well, so you can try both and see which works better for you.
That's what I thought, I will probably try both and most probably end up using my Fritz!box (assuming I find its power brick) and only use whatever BT supply as a backup or when I need to do some BT line tests.

The two separate boxes i.e. ONT and HH reminds me of the ADSL (2Mbps Max) days where we had two while boxes I think linked via ATM (might be wrong though) those was two large boxes back then, might even still have them in out loft LOL, if I recall the modem had the filter built in it, so the line went in and back out to the phone.

Thanks

Paul
Standard User brightd
(experienced) Sat 21-Nov-15 11:58:25
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

In my case I do not have the new face plate with the copper / fibre switch. I opted to use the ONTE as my master socket plugging the dect base station directly into that. It avoided cabling between the copper master and the ONTE which are not close together.

(Typo corrected)

David

Infinity 2 over FTTP from BTBroadband

Edited by brightd (Sat 21-Nov-15 22:24:29)

Standard User PaulKirby
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 21-Nov-15 16:05:38
Print Post

[re: brightd] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by brightd:
In my case I do not have the new face plate with the copper / fibre switch. I opted to use the ONTE as my master socket plugging the debt dect base station directly into that. It avoided cabling between the copper master and the ONTE which are not close together.
Yeah, I would of done the same however we have 4 SkyHD Boxes (I.e. Multi-Room) that are required to be connected to the phone line.

Paul
  Print Thread

Jump to