User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Milleracer41
(learned) Sat 21-Nov-15 09:13:21
Print Post

Infinity activated - now no dial tone or broadband access?

[link to this post]

Ordered Infinity last week, previously already with BT Broadband. Fibre package was due to activate on Monday 16th Nov, we've been away on holiday and returned today to find the HH5 has been delivered. So connected it all up and switched on. Hub started up and went to a blue light bar for about ten seconds then turned orange and there is a red flashing 'b' on the silver bar now. Restarted it a few times after checking it was connected up properly but still no joy.

We have a filtered faceplate which was used with my previous ADSL broadband with BT, not using microfilmers so I take it a filtered faceplate is OK? The faceplate has 'ADSL V1.0' on it. I've connected the LAN cable from the main PC to one of the yellow sockets on the back rather than the red WAN one, pretty sure that is correct as its FTTC and not FTTH?

Also, just noticed we have no dial tone on the phones in the house. Strange. Sounds like something somewhere is amiss? I've done the online fault reporting thing via my phones 3G internet access and they are apparently going to contact me having given me a fault reference number. Rather annoyed, was hoping to be up and running in jig time once we got home from hols today!!
(learned) Sat 21-Nov-15 09:14:44
Print Post

Re: Infinity activated - now no dial tone or broadband acces

[re: Milleracer41] [link to this post]

*UPDATE*

Phoned BT help and ended up speaking to a guy in a call centre who was incredibly difficult to understand . He said that he would pass on the details to an engineer and if they didn't contact me further then the fault would be fixed by the 25th of November. He also advised that there would be a fee to be paid of £129! What's that all about? It's obviously an issue caused by BT and not a fault within my property as the ADSL broadband was working fine on Monday morning before the FTTC was activated. We went on holiday and returned on Friday, plugged in the router and found we had no dial tone and no internet access so its clearly nothing we have done! No way I'm accepting having to pay £129 as a fee!
Standard User Ribble
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 21-Nov-15 11:28:16
Print Post

You won't have to pay anything, its just an advisory they have to give just in case the fault resolution is chargeable. It's almost definitely an issue at the cabinet.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 21-Nov-15 11:36:07
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

They really need to get onto the call centre trainers to make that sort of thing clearer, but unfortunately a charge like that is needed when some people report a fault for almost every resync they have.

In the original posters case sounds very like a problem at the cabinet and one presumes the original ADSL modem was not connecting either when they got home.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(learned) Sat 21-Nov-15 12:25:52
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Ah, right. I see! The guys words after he said an engineer would call were 'and there WILL be a charge of £129 for this', rather than MAY be a charge.

And yes - when we got home yesterday the old HH4 wasnt connected and was flashing a red light. I take it that the faceplate filter I used with my previous normal ADSL BT broadband OK to use with the HH5 and fibre broadband? I keep reading posts about people having a new filtered faceplate fitted by the engineer, something to do with VDSL? Will my current one be compatible?

Nothing back yet from BT.
Standard User Ribble
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 21-Nov-15 12:28:08
Print Post

It's OK as it is
Standard User keith969
(member) Sat 21-Nov-15 12:38:50
Print Post

I had a new faceplate fitted when I went from BT ADSL to Infinity. Engineer who visited fitted it and connected up the HH5 and it worked straight away.

BT Infinity 2 43mbs down 9mbs up
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 21-Nov-15 14:00:44
Print Post

[re: keith969] [link to this post]

That will be because they did the work at the street cabinet before coming to your house, in this case the most likely scenario is that the person doing the cabinet work has messed up when making the changes needed at the green phone cabinet

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User 961a
(member) Sat 21-Nov-15 14:22:41
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Is it any wonder those of us with a stable connection leave well alone?
(learned) Sat 21-Nov-15 14:41:03
Print Post

[re: 961a] [link to this post]

I know this is a bit like 'how long is a piece of string' but does anyone know what the likely timescales are for these type of faults to be rectified? Guy on phone simply said he would pass on all my info to an engineer and they will endeavour to fix it by next Wednesday. He said BT would only contact us if they required access to our property to check something inside the house and that if we heard nothing further from them we would hopefully have a resolution to it by the Wednesday. Is it likely that someone would be tasked with looking at the issue today or tomorrow, given that I contacted them yesterday or do things not work quite as quickly as that?!!
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to