User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User UKconfederate
(learned) Tue 24-Nov-15 13:39:19
Print Post

BT Inifinity 1 Installed Today, Some Advice Please

[link to this post]

Hi All,

Well, after some problems with the order system at BT, I've finally had 'fibre' enabled this morning, which is good thing.

The queries I have are to do with line speed and the training period.

When I ordered BT Infinity 1, I was told I would receive 16.1 Mbps and have a minimum guaranteed line speed of 14 Mbps.

Unfortunately, checking the specs, I am connected around 11500 kbps (can't remember the exact figure as now at work) and had a download speeds of approx. 10.1 (from Think Broadband and BT Speedtester). I appreciate compared to my old stats of 6.1 Mbps and 8128Kbps (line sync) this is an improvement but not really for the additional £10 price premium..

Anyway, my questions are:-

1.) Does anyone know if during the training period my line could re-sync at a higher level?

2.) If the line sync doesn't raise above the minimum guaranteed speed, what happens then? Can I go back to ADSL? Would BT make me remove the fibre and go back to ADSL? Would I be made to keep my 12 month contract?

At the moment, BT won't help as they say I have to wait a full 10 days for line training.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 24-Nov-15 14:01:26
Print Post

Re: BT Inifinity 1 Installed Today, Some Advice Please

[re: UKconfederate] [link to this post]

1) No. Other than the variation between sync's you get on ADSLx, but a bit bigger.
2.2.1 Dynamic Line Management

Dynamic Line Management (DLM) is employed in GEA-FTTC. DLM constantly manages lines to maintain a target link quality (speed and stability). It does this for as long as the product exists.
At provision, the line is put on “wide open” VDSL2 line profiles allowing the upstream and downstream line speeds to run at the upper limit of the product option selected.
BT SIN 498.

BT Wholesale talk rot about the ten days. Always did, and on FTTC it has never had any effect whatsoever on speed.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59997/15142kbps @ 600m. - BQM

Edited by RobertoS (Tue 24-Nov-15 14:01:50)

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 24-Nov-15 15:50:26
Print Post

Did you have an engineer install? If not, have you checked your internal wiring isn't causing issues?

If everything is as it should be with your wiring then you should be able to break the contract as they aren't meeting the estimated speeds given at sign up.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User TheEulerID
(committed) Tue 24-Nov-15 16:12:44
Print Post

If you have any extension sockets (and they aren't centrally filtered), then I always recommend in situations like this you baseline the performance by getting stats using the test socket. Assuming you have a modern master socket what you have to do is unscrew the faceplate and detach it which will both isolate extension wiring and reveal the test socket underneath. Note that this isn't the permanent arrangement, but just a way of finding out what optimal performance is.

Note that even if the HH% is attached to the master, any extensions not filtered at the master will impact VDSL performance.

One issue is not to do to many connections/disconnections as this can put DLM into something of a tizzy which

I assume you are doing your benchmark tests using a wired connection, not WiFi.

I'd also recommend getting the line stats out of the HH5 (go to trouble shooting and then "heldesk"). The sync speed, attenuation and SNR margin can provide information over whether you are in the right ballpark. If the target SNR margin has been set high or interleaving is turned on by DLM then it will have a material impact.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 24-Nov-15 16:25:54
Print Post

Do you have those guarantees in writing?

And what does the DSL checker say for Clean and Impacted? http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
(learned) Tue 24-Nov-15 19:12:08
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Thank you all for taking the time to reply.

I do have the BT HH5 plugged directly into the master socket, I don't have any extension wiring. I tried plugging HH5 into the socket (after unscrewing the font face plate) this made no difference, still the same snyc rate.

This was a self install.

The data rate from my HH5 is :- 1225/11724

In reply to a post by MHC:
Do you have those guarantees in writing?

Yes, in an email order confirmation BT sent to me
How fast?
We estimate your download speed will be between 16Mb and 23Mb, and your upload speed will be between 2Mb and 2Mb.

The minimum guaranteed speed you can expect from your BT Infinity will be 14Mb.

I am pleased that I have got an increased speed both down and up but at the additional cost of £10/month from what I was originally paying, that's what's taking the shine off things for me.

I will just say, probably doesn't make any difference but my old ADSL line (Up to 8Mbps) had been syncing at 8128 Kbps for many years, very stable connection.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 24-Nov-15 20:16:38
Print Post

Can you get the line stats too. and the DSL checker data. Those will show if the line is performing at its optimum.

If you cannot get anything faster then you may have a get out clause especially as they have provided an email- OR you could try negotiating a permanent discount.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 24-Nov-15 21:44:42
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

The other bit is to figure our how far away the cabinet is in real world terms, just to check the attenuation figures once you have them make relative sense.

Have seen places when checking our checker where FTTC is only marginally faster than ADSL/ADSL2+

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User GonePostal
(learned) Tue 24-Nov-15 23:59:27
Print Post

Our history with HH5 is not good. We are a good hike from our FTTC cabinet and BT would only sell us a 40/2 product rather than Infinity (and advising that our likely download would be in the 13 - 19 Mbps range on a self-install line). Using the HH5 router I was getting a sync speed of about 13Mb down. I replaced the HH5 with a Billion 8800NL and the download sync immediately went up to over 17Mb and we are now sync'd at 19Mb.

Upload is only just over 1Mbps whichever router is connected.

Maybe worth trying to beg, borrow or steal something instead of the HH5 to see if that is acting as a roadblock.
(learned) Wed 25-Nov-15 08:44:22
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
Can you get the line stats too. and the DSL checker data. Those will show if the line is performing at its optimum.

Line stats, from my HH5 are :-

Data Rate (I assume this is the line sync) :- 1225 / 11724
Maximum Data Rate:- 1225 / 11235
Noise Margin: 6.2 / 5.6
Line Attenuation: 18.0 / 37.1
Signal Attenuation: 18.0 / 30.8

DSL Checker is as follows:

FTTC Range A (Clean) 23.1 (High) 16.1 (low) 3.2 (Up High) 1.6 (Up Low) -- Available
FTTC Range B (Impacted) 17.3 (High) 7.6 (low) 3.1 (Up High) 0.8 (Up Low) -- Available

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
The other bit is to figure our how far away the cabinet is in real world terms, just to check the attenuation figures once you have them make relative sense.

I am exactly one mile from the cabinet in the neighbouring village. This is line length, as I'm able to follow the phone ducts and the Post Office covers all the way from the pavement outside my house all the way to the cabinet.
In reply to a post by GonePostal:
Our history with HH5 is not good. We are a good hike from our FTTC cabinet and BT would only sell us a 40/2 product rather than Infinity (and advising that our likely download would be in the 13 - 19 Mbps range on a self-install line). Using the HH5 router I was getting a sync speed of about 13Mb down. I replaced the HH5 with a Billion 8800NL and the download sync immediately went up to over 17Mb and we are now sync'd at 19Mb.

Upload is only just over 1Mbps whichever router is connected.

Maybe worth trying to beg, borrow or steal something instead of the HH5 to see if that is acting as a roadblock.

I will try and grab access to my works VDSL router a TP-Link N600, which improved the works download speeds from the BT VDSL Modem and separate router combination.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to