User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User magdrop
(newbie) Wed 23-Dec-15 09:01:40
Print Post

Slow internet after line fault repaired

[link to this post]

My normal DL speed is 6Meg (asdlmax) but three weeks ago we lost dial tone although BB continued at about 1-2 Meg. Eventually line fault was repaired but BB speed immediately dropped to 0.1 Meg. After many more hours on the phone to India they managed to bring it up to 1 Meg which has since dropped back to around 0.5 Meg. Unable to get an engineer visit until 4th Jan which will mean I have been without my phone/broadband service for a month.

Can anyone suggest/help?

My HH4 gives this: DSL Link Up: Down Rate=608Kbps, Up Rate=128Kbps; SNR Margin Down=6.0dB, Up=7.0dB
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 23-Dec-15 09:41:40
Print Post

Re: Slow internet after line fault repaired

[re: magdrop] [link to this post]

I'm not clear if the phone was fixed or not. You say the line fault was repaired but that you are still without phone (and effective broadband I realise).

Very slow broadband and no dial tone is nearly always one wire of the pair is disconnected, somewhere between (and including) your phone socket and the exchange kit.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59997/15142kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Wed 23-Dec-15 09:43:47
Print Post

Looks like you have a lot of noise on your line. Can you hear a noise when you make a phone call?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User magdrop
(newbie) Wed 23-Dec-15 09:50:26
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

The phone fault was repaired after two weeks at which point the BB speed dropped to 0.1 Meg, it now struggling at less than 0.5 Meg.
Standard User magdrop
(newbie) Wed 23-Dec-15 09:51:30
Print Post

The line sounds clean.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Wed 23-Dec-15 10:01:16
Print Post

Have you tried this? https://www.bt.com/consumerFaultTracking/secure/faul...

I suggest you start with the phone fault
Standard User magdrop
(newbie) Wed 23-Dec-15 10:23:38
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

The phone is working fine, good dial tone and sounds clean, its the broadband which is the problem ever since the phone line was "fixed". I agree that the phone line repair is at the root of the problem or one hell of a coincidence!
India did play around with profiles etc but only made a marginal and temporary improvement.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 23-Dec-15 10:25:42
Print Post

It's possible that they fixed the phone fault by putting you on a different pair to the exchange which may be longer/poorer for broadband. Therefore there may be no actual "fault" any more but a much lower quality connection. Hope BT can do something but they may decide it is the best you can now get.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Wed 23-Dec-15 10:26:14
Print Post

I'm suggesting you start with the phone fault option before moving onto the broadband fault option on that fault diagnosis tool. You need a perfect phoneline for a good broadband connection.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Wed 23-Dec-15 10:27:03
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

That's true. More stats including the attenuation would help.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to