User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | 7 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User mlmclaren
(knowledge is power) Thu 03-Mar-16 10:43:05
Print Post

Re: New Development - Setups

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Hmmm, sorry for my negativity in the following comments, but it doesn't sound like an ideal setup....

EU's won't be able to access the master socket to do testing as required in their term's o service... nevermind if an engineer visit is required... ISP's are now switching to AiO equipment which they would expect to also be used as the modem (in troubleshooting)...

I think it would be better if it where run like my new development where PCP -> DP -> CAT5/6-> NTE5 (Apartment)

BTInfinity - 79999/19999kbps - Quality Monitor - Quality Monitor 2
VirginMedia - 77000/5250kbps - BQM L1 - BQM L2

Edited by mlmclaren (Thu 03-Mar-16 10:47:43)

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 03-Mar-16 10:50:04
Print Post

[re: mlmclaren] [link to this post]

Yes, they are negatives, however there are plenty of them in this situation. Whichever option is chosen, there is a down side ...

They will have access - they will just need to request it from the building management.

As for using Cat5e/6 to the apartment - it will not give a major improvement in the noise rejection.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Edited by MHC (Thu 03-Mar-16 10:52:29)

Standard User mlmclaren
(knowledge is power) Thu 03-Mar-16 11:12:57
Print Post

In reply to a post by MHC:
They will have access - they will just need to request it from the building management.

That's not really going to work is it....

"Sorry BT customer service, can you hold for a few days whilst I wait for building management to open this cupboard"

It's not ideal and I can't see how Openreach will allow it as its against there own guidelines...

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User mlmclaren
(knowledge is power) Thu 03-Mar-16 11:13:51
Print Post

You would be better of installing FTTB type service.

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 03-Mar-16 11:27:34
Print Post

They are on-site ...

M H C

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 03-Mar-16 11:30:46
Print Post

In reply to a post by mlmclaren:
You would be better of installing FTTB type service.

If only ...

And that is one reason for the Cat5e/6. Terminate fibre in the comms room and provide an Ethernet feed to each apartment. That can be BT or any of the others, however none are there today and it could be 12 months, or 5 years!

M H C

Standard User craski
(member) Thu 03-Mar-16 11:33:15
Print Post

That'll be another £10/month on the factors fee then to micro-manage tenants internet connections smile

Zen Unlimited Fibre Office BQM

Edited by craski (Thu 03-Mar-16 11:34:02)

Standard User mlmclaren
(knowledge is power) Thu 03-Mar-16 11:39:16
Print Post

[re: craski] [link to this post]

I was just thinking that!

Standard User mlmclaren
(knowledge is power) Thu 03-Mar-16 11:48:14
Print Post

I'm not quiet sure what to say then to be honest.... Openreach's literature says that this isn't the correct way to be installing PSTN and VDSL services,

I would not be happy having my connecton terminating external to my own property and have little to no power over it.... there is so many reason why not to do this...

I do applaud the future proofing, though this would still be possible using the method currently being used in my building and also what I recommended...

I unerstand that your trying to avoid noise and interferance but reality is that will happen regardless of the setup due to factors outside your control...

All thats going to happen with this is what happened at a friend of mines property...

Where he had phonelines terminating in a service cupboard on top floor of 3 storey building and the tenant complained about not being able to access them and when FTTC was made availble Openreach refused to install due test socket not being within EU's flat...

He ended up having a DP installed in the service cupboard and eventually as everyone upgraded to VDSL (-2meg ADSL) they had modem installed in individual flats.

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 03-Mar-16 12:19:41
Print Post

OR have been and still are involved in this. Ultimately, the cabling that goes in will support either option. So far, the comms room has a "max attainable of over 100Mbps ... one install used in the Project Manager's office is seeing around 50-60Mbps - probably due to noise. Run 30 more connections and there could be serious issues on some.

M H C

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | 7 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to