User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User dave2150
(experienced) Sun 31-Jan-16 22:08:39
Print Post

Throughput Issues, BT Infinity, in the evenings.

[link to this post]

I moved to BT Infinity from Sky Fiber less than a week ago. At first, all was well, I had the same speeds as previously and the latency was roughly 5ms lower, perhaps a lower interleaving setting was applied.

However, since yesterday, I'm getting extremely low speeds for 1-2 hours at a time. Here's a speedtest from a few minutes ago:

Uploads don't seem to be affected, but downloads clearly are.

Hardware setup identical to the perfect FTTC service I was getting from Sky for the last year - NTE5 master socket with BT Openreach supplied VDSL faceplate, 1M RJ11 twisted pair cable to BT Home Hub 5B.

Viewing my line stats from the Homehub, SNR is stable at 6DB for upload and download. I can't view the errors there, but doubt this is the issue.

Is this a common issue with BT - insane congestion in the evenings?

FTTC over 600M of good old Aluminium
http://www.speedtest.net/result/2869262320.png
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 31-Jan-16 22:12:09
Print Post

Re: Throughput Issues, BT Infinity, in the evenings.

[re: dave2150] [link to this post]

embedded images are not allowed. please provide the link.

Also, setting up TBB quality monitoring will probably show if congestion issues are present.

ZeN Fibre Unlimited 2

Edited by Pipexer (Sun 31-Jan-16 22:12:25)

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sun 31-Jan-16 22:27:46
Print Post

Here's your link http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5046140366 which looks like BT congestion.

When you moved from Sky to BT, your DLM profile was reset so you were on an open profile.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User dave2150
(experienced) Sun 31-Jan-16 22:37:29
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
Here's your link http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5046140366 which looks like BT congestion.

When you moved from Sky to BT, your DLM profile was reset so you were on an open profile.

Thanks.

So all the connection specific DLM settings, such as the interleave depth etc, were all lost. This could be the problem then, since I know that my telephone line is mostly all aluminium and I had a high interleave depth with Sky.

Hopefully the DLM will quickly workout the optimum settings for my line, I doubt there's anything I can do to speed this up?

I dont mind loosing a few mbit speed, or loosing the 5ms that I gained from the move, I just want a 100% reliable connection like I had with Sky asap!

I just restarted my Skyhub, which has resolved the issue for now, looks like it must have been an insane number of errors per second to reduce my speed as it did in the speed test linked above.

Before router restart:

5. VDSL uptime: 0 days, 06:00:22
6. Data Rate: 6860 / 32212
7. Maximum Data Rate: 6859 / 37537
8. Noise Margin: 6.0 / 5.4
9. Line Attenuation: 38.0 / 26.7
10. Signal Attenuation: 0.0 / 0.0

After router restart:

5. VDSL uptime: 0 days, 00:00:12
6. Data Rate: 6962 / 32393
7. Maximum Data Rate: 7012 / 38846
8. Noise Margin: 6.1 / 6.2
9. Line Attenuation: 38.0 / 26.8

Pity I can't view the interleave depth or CRC/FEC stats in the homehub. If this problem continues I can connect up my HG612 to view the detailed line stats, though hopefully DLM will actually do something soon.

I have to question why a DLM reset is done when migrating ISP - surely customers would want their new connection to be as stable as their old one, and not have to go through the retraining period again etc, doesn't make sense to me!

Surely in this day and age they could simply copy all the connection specific settings (sync history, interleave depth etc) and automatically apply those settings when doing the migration.

It was probably the decision of the same person that decided to roll out all these useless ECI cabinets that can't do G.INP!

Oh, just thought I'd mention I am indeed on an ECI cabinet, are there known issues between the home hub 5B and ECI cabinets? As I said my HG612 worked flawless for over a year with Sky.

FTTC over 600M of good old Aluminium
http://www.speedtest.net/result/2869262320.png

Edited by dave2150 (Sun 31-Jan-16 22:40:34)

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sun 31-Jan-16 22:46:31
Print Post

Unbelievable! You have a HH5B on a ECI cabinet?!?! You would be much better off with a HH5A. I find it hard to understand why BT keep on making this mistake. Possibly the worst problem is that BT tend to "manage" your connection using the BT Agent embedded in the HH5 so if your HG612 has the BT Agent disabled, that would be a better bet anyway.
Standard User brightd
(experienced) Sun 31-Jan-16 22:55:33
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

TBB quality monitoring will not work on most BT lines because they have a dynamic IP address.

David

Infinity 2 over FTTP from BTBroadband
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 31-Jan-16 22:57:27
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Can't the OP replace the HH with the Sky router?

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59504/15641kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 31-Jan-16 22:58:48
Print Post

Which speedtest.net server did it select for that test? I see at the time you had an Spanish IP address.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59504/15641kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sun 31-Jan-16 23:00:12
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I don't know if it's possible to enter the correct username, sorry.
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Sun 31-Jan-16 23:00:59
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Can't the OP replace the HH with the Sky router?
it will be locked with sky's user & password and possibly set to MER encapsulation
Basically both are POS The OP would be better off getting a HG612 3b off ebay Or buying a basic modem/router such as the billion 8800nl both are broadcom chipped devices and more importantly will provide easy access to full stats , where as the locked ECI won't without a lot of work,

Edited by tommy45 (Sun 31-Jan-16 23:03:04)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to