User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User alext05
(committed) Thu 17-Mar-16 10:34:00
Print Post

HH5 - any tips for setting it up for new users

[link to this post]

I've joined BT about ten days ago and so far everything works fine, so much better in the evening comparing to my previous ISP Plusnet.

I did a little search on what is a recommended setup for HH5 and understood that it's good to:
a) split wireless 2.4 and 5GHz networks; and
b) turn off Smart Setup.

Any other tips that I haven't discovered yet?
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Thu 17-Mar-16 10:54:49
Print Post

Re: HH5 - any tips for setting it up for new users

[re: alext05] [link to this post]

I find it beneficial to set the wireless to a fixed channel rather than use the automatic channel selection.

Is yours a HH5 Type A or Type B?

Use the Ginp Formula to determine if your vdsl2 connection is with or without G.INP.
Divide your IP Profile by your Sync Speed and the answer is 0.9669 (with) or 0.9679 (without)
Standard User alext05
(committed) Thu 17-Mar-16 12:45:15
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Thanks, Type B luckily and I am on Huawei cabinet too.

Wireless works fine so far but how did you find the best fixed channel to set it to? And did you do it for both 2.4 and 5GHz networks?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Thu 17-Mar-16 12:58:06
Print Post

[re: alext05] [link to this post]

It may be different with the Type B but the Type A tends to change channel randomly which disconnects the wireless clients.

You can get Inssider for windows which will display the local wifi networks so you can choose an uncongested channel. You can buy the latest version from Metageek, or you may find the earlier free version here http://www.techspot.com/downloads/5936-inssider.html

You can also just use the channel it's currently on. It's not such a problem for 5GHz.

Use the Ginp Formula to determine if your vdsl2 connection is with or without G.INP.
Divide your IP Profile by your Sync Speed and the answer is 0.9669 (with) or 0.9679 (without)
Standard User alext05
(committed) Thu 17-Mar-16 13:11:37
Print Post

Thanks. I'll keep this in mind if I start having wireless issues.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Thu 17-Mar-16 17:53:38
Print Post

The type A should move channels relatively quickly, and clients do not disassociate usually - in my experience.

Are all clients dropping for you? Not sure how, but out of my house, the only device that drops is a Sky HD box. 2 macbooks, many windows laptops, 2 PS4s, 2 Apple TVs, 5 iPhones do not drop out when it switches using the smart wireless switching.

Do you have the latest firmware version?

I find the type A works perfectly fine for me.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Thu 17-Mar-16 17:54:29)

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Thu 17-Mar-16 17:55:30
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ukhardy07:
The type A should move channels relatively quickly, and clients do not disassociate usually - in my experience.
So how do they keep connected on a different channel?

Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Fri 18-Mar-16 00:20:14
Print Post

Really not sure how it works. With my SR102, Netgear DG834G, Belkin N600 and Virgin Superhub, if the wireless channel changed my devices would drop out for a while.

With the homehub, it is all set to automatic, the channel has changed often whilst I am using PS4 online and the console doesn't even display your wifi network has been lost as it normally would. It just seams to seamlessly switch.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Fri 18-Mar-16 00:39:28
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

I'm certainly not seeing that, neither are other users I know.

Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Fri 18-Mar-16 16:07:31
Print Post

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
I'm certainly not seeing that, neither are other users I know.

I will film it when I force a channel change later today, there is no visible drop in the wireless - I am sure there is a background drop which I do not see and the end users do not really notice. There is definitely not a drop in the wireless that is visible, ie the wireless bars do not drop out to zero and then reconnect.

Given that this thing will change wireless channel every evening at least, and often more than once a day, in fact changing the channel a lot, I am glad. Maybe I have a miracle box.
  Print Thread

Jump to