User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Racehunter
(regular) Fri 18-Mar-16 09:39:45
Print Post

BT Infinity/Youview and lost channels

[link to this post]

Ok, I have posted this issue on the BT Community Forum yesterday, but have so far had no reply, so I hope you don't mind me trying here!

A few month ago I gave up with my HH3 as wireless performance was poor and it kept dropping off some connected devices. I replaced it with a Belkin AC1800 Dual Band router as a) it stated it was for BT Infinity and b) I got a good price. It installed easily and I have been very happy with the wireless and wired performance. My wife was also happy as catch-up TV through Youview was consistently good.

That brings me to Tuesday evening and I thought I would look and see if BT Sport (subscribed channel) was showing any lead up to this weekends opening MotoGP race. It was only then that I discovered that I couldn't get any of the BT Sport channels and others like Eurosport. The message on-screen said that there was a problem with the internet connection. Obviously not, as catch-up TV works. Now I am sure that since installing the new router I have accessed at least one of the sport channels, but perhaps my mind is playing tricks.

So, searching for answers I keep coming back to the fact that these BT sport channels use Multicast and it needs to be enabled in the routers web interface. I cannot find such a setting in the Belkin settings so, with time running out does anyone have an idea of what might be needed to get back to 'proper' viewing (apart from re-installing HH3)

Thanks and sorry for the long post smile

Steve
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 18-Mar-16 09:47:20
Print Post

Re: BT Infinity/Youview and lost channels

[re: Racehunter] [link to this post]

This thread on the BT forum is where most of the knowledge for configuring routers is held. It doesn't look like yours is listed there but it is possible that one of the others will have a similar interface. I use a Billion and configuring it is definitely not an obvious setting so yours may be somewhat convoluted as well.

Some routers don't support multicast at all though.

Searching the BT forum returns your own post as the top article...
Standard User Racehunter
(regular) Fri 18-Mar-16 10:06:14
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Yep. Not a lot of information at all available. The trouble is I am now wondering if it was all working OK on my 'missing' channels previously and if so if its something to do with the last YouView firmware update.......

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ggremlin
(experienced) Fri 18-Mar-16 10:30:44
Print Post

The trouble is I am now wondering if it was all working OK on my 'missing' channels previously and if so if its something to do with the last YouView firmware update.......

two things to try,
rescan for channels on youview,
then plug the hh3 back in, (and maybe scan again)
see if channels appear.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 18-Mar-16 11:03:47
Print Post

[re: ggremlin] [link to this post]

I'm not sure the IP channels are affected by a channel scan? I didn't think they were. It sounds like the IP channel is there but just not showing anything because of a problem with the IP stream (which as on demand is working is normally down to multicast).
Standard User ggremlin
(experienced) Fri 18-Mar-16 12:06:40
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

IP channels are tuned on channel scan, it says at the end how many terrestrial, and how many ip are found.
however, I agree its most likely the router currently doesn't support multicast. replacing with the hh3 will test if its the router or the tv box.
Standard User Racehunter
(regular) Fri 18-Mar-16 12:11:40
Print Post

[re: ggremlin] [link to this post]

Thanks for the replies. I will put the HH3 back on as soon as I get home from work and respond with the results.

Steve
Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 18-Mar-16 19:42:51
Print Post

You will already have missed all the free practise sessions for MotoGP. Quali sessions start tomorrow at 2:30pm UK time.

BT Infinity 1 (unlimited)
Standard User Racehunter
(regular) Sun 20-Mar-16 10:49:51
Print Post

[re: gomezz] [link to this post]

Well, I reinstalled HH3 and all BT Sports channels are back up and running, so its obvious that the Be!kin is not handling multicast. Just need to see if it can be made to work as the family are mightily peed off with the poor wireless performance of HH3.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 20-Mar-16 10:53:51
Print Post

Turn the Belkin into a WAP.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59504/15641kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to