User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User rscott
(member) Sun 27-Mar-16 21:45:53
Print Post

21CN upgrade query

[link to this post]

My local exchange was 21CN enabled last year and some BT retail lines upgraded before Christmas.

Mine wasn't though and, according to BT Retail live chat, ", the exchange has been upgraded to faster broadband maximum up to 20mbps however more switches are required to be installed to enable all of our customers in that area receive up to that speed. The engineers are working on it . Although, the time scale is yet to be confirmed, as it as we get any update, you'll automatically get to know about it"

Does this sound right to anyone?
Standard User PaulKirby
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 28-Mar-16 15:25:05
Print Post

Re: 21CN upgrade query

[re: rscott] [link to this post]

Yeah, that sound about right to me, the end of your line in the exchange need to have a different line card (i.e. switches as they say it) that supports ADSL2+ and those cards get passed about all over the place from exchange to exchange.

These line cards get released back into circulation when a line no longer needs it like when somebody moves over to fibre etc.

When we moved over from ADSL2+ with Zen to BT our line card was released for somebody else, sadly it was required for our new line with BT, so for a little while we got put onto ADSL Max, which is better than nothing, this was only until there was a free ADSL2+ line card free.

So you will have to ask for your ISP to move you over to ADSL2+ and they will put you on the wait list for one.
This might be quick or a long wait.

Also, not really sure what speeds you are getting at the moment, but if your getting very slow speeds like less than 7Mbps you might (I say might) not benefit being on ADSL2+, it depends on what the DSL Checker says you can get.

Paul
Standard User lee111s
(committed) Mon 28-Mar-16 18:47:03
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

What does this checker https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/adsl.htm?s... show for your line?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User rscott
(member) Tue 29-Mar-16 10:07:23
Print Post

[re: lee111s] [link to this post]

it confirms ADSL2+ is available.
Standard User rscott
(member) Tue 29-Mar-16 10:12:53
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

BT tech support & customer options didn't know what ADSL2+ was - they were confusing it with FTTC, so no way they could order it or put me on a wait list.

I'm now dealing with a moderator via BT's forum who can hopefully sort it.
Standard User PaulKirby
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 29-Mar-16 10:21:42
Print Post

[re: rscott] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by rscott:
BT tech support & customer options didn't know what ADSL2+ was - they were confusing it with FTTC, so no way they could order it or put me on a wait list.

I'm now dealing with a moderator via BT's forum who can hopefully sort it.
Just makes you laugh really tongue

I know when I was put on ADSL Max when I moved over to BT it was so that they could get me as a customer and said once an ADSL2+ Line card becomes available I will be moved over to it, and a couple of weeks later I was.

If it was overseas tech support etc then yeah, they have no clue apart from able to just follow a queue cards.

Hopefully the moderators on the BT Forums will be able to help.

Paul
  Print Thread

Jump to