User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User michaeldjcox
(newbie) Tue 29-Mar-16 16:48:40
Print Post

No ADSL filters seem to work

[link to this post]

A few months ago my router was reporting ADSL connection speed of 8Mb downstream and 512Kb upstream

A massive jump from before which I attribute to some shielded cable, removal of all extensions, and disconnecting the bell wire.

I did have a little crackle in voice calls only present when ADSL is connected.

My setup is now really simple - BT faceplate, one spliter and then shielded cable to router (and actually now to the phone as well as an act of desperation).

Recently now my broadband speeds have halved and the crackling on the voice line is terrible - but again only when ADSL is connected.

I can clearly hear what sounds like modem dial up noises executing some kind of connection protocol when the DSL starts up.

I have tried two different routers, numerous ADSL fiters, going direct to the test socket - it all makes no difference.

I reported as a phone fault and the engineer found a problem 80m awsay from the house to fix but it made no difference. He also fitted a mark 3 filter faceplate and checked all connections. Again It made no difference.

In the end he said I would have to log a broadband fault.

I had the usual fight with indian call centre to convince them that its not my router and its not my ADSL filter and finally got them to agree to the broadband engineer that their phone line engineer told me I needed.

So here I am a week later, engineer coming tomorrow, together with the threat of it costing £129 if the problem is found to be within my property.

Does this sort of scenario sound familiar to anyone?

i.e. where the ADSL filters just don't work

If BT fail/refuse to fix it is there any benefit in switching to another provider when it will only use the same line and equipment

(we are rural and the nearest cabinet with optical fibre is a mile away but not scheduled to come our way for years)

Very grateful for any advice

Michael

Edited by michaeldjcox (Tue 29-Mar-16 16:58:19)

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 29-Mar-16 17:27:52
Print Post

Re: No ADSL filters seem to work

[re: michaeldjcox] [link to this post]

It all sounds very much to me as if you have an HR (high resistance) fault on your line somewhere.

Good luck with the visit tomorrow. The engineer should make a 'PQ' test, show a little interest and look over their shoulder, ask them to explain in laymans terms what each of the results mean.

Pay special attention to the leg resistance (should hopefully be pretty balanced and the AC balance which should be over 60db.

(newbie) Thu 31-Mar-16 07:32:46
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

So the engineer arrived around noon in the 8-1pm slot and stayed until 4.30

The PQ test returned good balance - near perfect in fact - but the engineer agreed that there was ADSL noise on the voice line and that bandwidth was down.

His information showed that our line was "in the red" - not sure what he was looking at but he explained it meant we were worse off when compared to neighbours.

He tested pretty rigorously and methodically from the master socket, up to the junction at the side of the house and then along the road back toward the exchange.

Happily he identified that the problem was outside my property and said he found a potential issue half a mile away. He said he "recrimped" everywhere and replaced the copper pair over part of the length

He also said he would a log a job to replace some kit at the exchange - but again I'm not sure what.

Work was pressing and he seemed keen to wind up the job so I did not have time to clarify further what was being fixed which I regret now.

The upshot is that the ADSL related crackle has gone.

It has been replaced with a much less intrusive background hiss/crackle that is present whether the ADSL is connected or not. This probably acceptable though I may investigate further. It seems to stop briefly when I rap the master socket with my knuckles.

Currently getting 444/5568. During the fault I was getting between 192/3100 and 256/5560 (approx). Previous to the fault ADSL router was reporting 512/8192 (approx)

I'm hoping that this will climb further over time.

Overall a good experience. The engineer was a great representative for BT. Salt of the earth. Practical. Rigorous. Listened. Spent time explaining.

So very refreshing compared to the Bangalore call centre customer is wrong, computer says no, experience!

Michael

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(newbie) Thu 07-Apr-16 18:51:36
Print Post

Sigh.

His fix lasted a day and a half and we are now back with noisy line and half-speed broadband.

Now when I try to get an engineer I am hitting a brick wall.

The indian call centre that will not scehdule a visit and the BT call centre that say sorry a lot but also do nothing.

Both promise to cal back and don't.

My wife got cut off 3 times after 30 min waits

I tried the live chat be the rep also gave no information and even tried to persuade me to text a premium rate number for status updates.

I've been a BT customer for 25 years and an employee for 13.

Feel very let down by the 151 experience.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 07-Apr-16 19:38:47
Print Post

I've been a BT customer for 25 years and an employee for 13.

I have been an employee for 19 years now. The pressure placed on engineering staff to hit targets for dreamed up stats is enormous. All that coupled with an HR fault being a right sod to find any way ....

Good luck with the next visit (eventually) and if the engineer is tall and bald, be nice, it might be me !

Standard User Ribble
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 07-Apr-16 19:45:52
Print Post

If your a current employee then try using actionline
(newbie) Fri 08-Apr-16 07:22:42
Print Post

Just to clarify.

Engineering staff have been great for this incident and always in the past.

I'm really letting of steam here about the 151 experience.

I would accept being told someone will come but it will take three weeks for them to appear.

What I'm getting is we are testing, we won't send an engineer out yet, we will call you back (three unfulfilled promises - never happened), being disconnected when finally reaching a person (twice), why not send SMS messages to our premium rate number instead.

I am not an angry person or in anyway difficult or abusive on the phone - cool and measured and persistent that I feel the previous fix was good. That I don't need yet another ADSL filter or a new router - been through all that - just someone coming out to recheck that previous fix.

Instead I'm left feeling that no action is being taken at all and that each person I call is just finding a way of postponing action and not dealing with me.

Done with online ranting now - just wanted to clarify where the service has been poor and where it has been good.
Standard User lee111s
(committed) Fri 08-Apr-16 15:12:42
Print Post

I'd definitely go down the actionline route. It'll get dealt with someone here in the UK who knows what they're about.
(newbie) Fri 08-Apr-16 15:42:49
Print Post

[re: lee111s] [link to this post]

Not an employee anymore but as it turns out I got a call today.

An engineer coming on Wednesday.

I've been given a name and number to speak to if the issue continues after that so I don;t need to start over.
Standard User smsmasters
(committed) Sat 23-Apr-16 08:18:50
Print Post

Sounds like my issue but I'm on VDSL2.

After several engineer visits and eventual line pair swap, back to normal.

(newbie) Fri 17-Jun-16 18:20:52
Print Post

An update....

Still have the issue!

Expecting engineer number 7 next wednesday.

Have a better class of contact with BT now - get regular calls a single contact in Newcastle who tracks the problem and runs tests and books engineers.

So I am saved from the India call centre ordeal.

But I feel we are now in various other loops

We seem to oscillate Voice engineer vs broadband engineer.

The former seem to run out of things they can do. The latter more useful in this context.

I get the feeling the the results of the one engineers visit are not really fed into the investigations of the next engineer so we seem to start all over again each visit.

For example one engineer actually fixed an issue a mile from the house which seem to solve the problem for about 3 days.

No engineer since then has been prepared to accept that there may have been a regression of that earlier fixed fault and we start again at the house.

In fact there seems to be a general reluctance to look at anything equipment/junctions between the house and the exchange.

So the issue remains the same.

When the ADSL is plugged in the voice line crackles.

I have one router, one phone, and a faceplate filter and shielded cable between filter and router and between filter and phone.

We have tried:

testing at the test socket
testing with a new home hub and another billion router rather than my billion 7800N
connecting directly from the termination of the overhead line under the eaves.
Numerous alternative filters
Several alternative phones
Taking the old fashioned screw termination junction box out of the equation (connections go via two chunks of metal)

The last broadband engineer managed to get the connection speed back up to its former level of 8Mb (though occasionally now it drops down to 6Mb) - previoulsy I was getting between 3 and 5 Mbs.

But still the crackle....

The latest theory is there another "ADSL filter" device outside my house somewhere (in a green cabinet).

(though I've never seen a green cabinet anywhere around)

Michael
Standard User eckiedoo
(experienced) Sat 18-Jun-16 08:26:36
Print Post

"When the ADSL is plugged in the voice line crackles."

Assuming you mean that the fault only occurs when the ADSL Modem/Router is plugged in, that suggests a fault in that item or the in-house phone wiring including the plugs and sockets.

With it plugged IN, does the problem disappear when that ADSL M/R is switched OFF?

If that is the situation, it suggests something in the M/R itself and/or its power supply adaptor if any.

If the problem occurs with the M/R plugged IN and whether switched ON or OFF, then it suggests problems with the in-house wiring, including the phone plugs and phone sockets, including the ADSL Splitter Dongle if used, the latter unlikely given the simplicity and that you have tried others.

-----------

The MODEM side of splitter dongles are "straight-through", both the ADSL signals and the phone speech continuing to be available.

The PHONE side incorporates a High-Frequency REJECT filter circuit, to prevent true ADSL signals from getting to the phone.

I have taken an ADSL Sp[litter/Dongle apart, to confirm this, as well as checking circuit diagrams.

So if the ADSL M/R is faulty, producing general noise particularly at audio/phone frequencies as well as the HF ADSL signals, these would NOT be rejected by that Filter circuit, so could interfere with the phone etc.
Standard User eckiedoo
(experienced) Sat 18-Jun-16 12:06:48
Print Post

[re: eckiedoo] [link to this post]

I note that the Billion 7800N covers a wide range of "broadband" connections-

http://www.billion.uk.com/product/wireless/7800n.htm
"
BiPAC 7800N
Broadcom Chipset, 802.11n ADSL2+/Broadband Firewall Router with Gigabit Ethernet Switch

The 7800N is an all-round high performance wireless router that can be used with all service providers currently operating in the UK. As well as being compatible with existing ADSL and ADSL2+ services using the UKs standard copper telephone lines, the 7800N works just as well with cable providers, such as Virgin, and also new superfast broadband packages from BT Infinity and other providers using NGN (Next Generation Network) technologies, including FTTC, FTTP and VDSL.
"
If the problem only occurs when it is plugged in and switched ON, could there be a Settings problem rather than a Physical problem?

---
"I can clearly hear what sounds like modem dial up noises executing some kind of connection protocol when the DSL starts up."

Try recording them, if you have facilities available.

Many years back, we had terrific problems on our then simple; but High Priority (Red Card) Phone line.

It was intermittent; but a combination of managing to record the sounds inclusive of engineering tones an general very loud noise; and it fortunately(!) occurring when reporting it yet again to Faults, that lady took some time to recover from the deafening effects, ended up with a rapid change to the later System X equipment in the exchange, from the earlier Cross-Bar.

However that led to another problem - we were advised of the move by a message left on our Answering Machine - which did NOT include the New Number.

My lady-wife had problems extracting this from Directory Enquiries eventually, by telling them to ring that new number and giving it to whom-so-ever answered, Human or Answering Machine!

Directory Enquiries reluctance was according to their information, the New Number was "Ex-Directory".

We had never asked for this; and the need for it to be generally available was also the reason for the line being on Red Card, same priority as Police Stations etc.
Standard User eckiedoo
(experienced) Sat 18-Jun-16 12:26:02
Print Post

[re: smsmasters] [link to this post]

Another aspect that someone with more knowledge may be able to answer.

My understanding is that there are xDSL signals on the phone line "at all times", whether the home Modem/Router is plugged IN & ON; or not.

Hence a working home M/R being able to show whether it is connected or not, by the LEDs or LCD Display, confirming that it is "hearing the exchange/far end" at the exchange for ADSL and at the connected FTTC for VDSL.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 18-Jun-16 14:04:32
Print Post

Well it certainly won't show anything by its lights when turned off, other than that fact, and it won't show connected when not plugged into the line.

I have my doubts that there is a signal from the MSAN/DSLAM when the modem is absent or off, but prepared to be corrected as you are.

Once plugged in and switched on there is immediate traffic during synchronisation. Once synchronised there is constant passage of bits at the connection speed established. AIUI this stream is formatted according to the protocol in use as headers and end markers for the frames and packets when no data is passing. When data is entered by the modem it is carried between the headers and end markers.

There are two stages of connection. First between the modems at each end, and then between the user and ISP routers. Typically these show as DSL and Internet respectively at the user end. Sometimes the word Broadband is used.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59500/14989kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User eckiedoo
(experienced) Sat 18-Jun-16 15:25:24
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Agreed that there must be traffic when requested; but I am wondering about when the computers are switched OFF, ie the various local/home items are switched OFF and the M/R is still switched ON etc.

My EE Bright Box 2 and earlier 1, have all 4 LEDs ON at Green with the various connected items OFF.

The top, Power LED is obviously purely local.

Broadband #2 is ON solid.Green

Internet #3 is ON Green, frequently flickering OFF

Wireless #4 is ON Green, occasionally flickering OFF.

-----

In general use, the two flickering LEDs vary in degree, depending on the working traffic.

Again in general use and if no local items are "connected", then none of those 4 LEDs have shown the Orange phase, which does appear hopefully briefly, when the BB is switched back ON after a re-boot, whether of the BB itself or if mains are restored after an outage.

Also if the MODEM Phone line connection is broken, the Orange re-appears as the hand-shaking proceeds.

It is the latter aspect that suggests that there are DSL signals on the phone line at "all" times.

--------------

Unplugging the MODEM Phone line from the BB in a test just now, LEDs #1 & #4 remain Green as described above.

On disconnecting, it takes about 5 seconds for the other two to changge -

Broadband #2 switches to solid Red.

Internet #3 goes solidly OFF.

Reconnecting the cable -

Broadband #2 takes about 5 seconds to start flickering Orande, then another 5 seconds to return to solid Green

Internet #3 initially remains OF, the when Broadband has turned to Green, #3 starts flickering Orange; and after a short period of that, returns to flickering Green.

Hence in combination, those all suggest that there is a DSL signal, "Keep-Alive ?", at "all times".

Edited by eckiedoo (Sat 18-Jun-16 15:35:34)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 18-Jun-16 15:58:15
Print Post

It is very difficult to explain things to you.

If there are modems switched on at each end, then there is traffic at some speed or other, I don't know what, in order to synchronise. Once synchronised there is traffic at the sync'ed speed until the sync is broken. If both modems are still switched on then they will immediately go back to negotiating sync.

Nothing whatsoever to do with establishing connection to the ISP, i.e. Internet connection.

I don't know how to make that any clearer. User data transfer happens inside the packets that are present but empty when no user data is being passed.

Your #2 looks like DSL sync when green. Your #3 is connection to your ISP, and when green shows your credentials have been accepted and a session has been established.

On any of those, flickering shows something is happening, but they are not "off" in the sense of disconnected, any more than your car indicators are "off" at any stage when you have have turned them on to show you are turning.

You obviously completely missed the jokes in my previous post about what the lights tell us when the modem is disconnected from the line or turned off. Your post it was a reply to suggested you thought they indicated something in that state.

Re whether or not there is traffic on the line in that state I also covered. It is impossible to tell from your lights, but I don't think there is. There is no circuit. As in when everything electrical in your house is turned off, there is no current on the ring main waiting to have a gate opened at a light switch or similar.

Having said that, the modem at the DSLAM is "Always on", waiting for a signal from yours to start the synchronisation process if not already sync'ed.

+++++++++++++++++++
Edit - your long addition in your edit about what happened when you unplugged the modem from the line, thus breaking sync, wasn't present when I drafted the above. What you described happening is exactly what is expected and tells us nothing about what is on the line while the modem was absent.

It could be nothing, it could be a handshake signal. Yours when reconnected may send an "Anyone there, or it may respond to an "Anyone there" from the DSLAM modem. You simply cannot tell from observing the lights. It's something anyone who know, knows. End of. I do have a faint recollection of the same question a few years ago, and the answer was that there is a handshake from the DSLAM/MSAN, but you certainly cannot infer anything about that from your lights.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 18-Jun-16 16:08:23)

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 18-Jun-16 17:42:24
Print Post

After so many engineering visits my first question would be, which, if any, of your pair has been swapped out, E, D both ? If not, then they should have been.

Sadly I still think the onus for your delayed repair lies with the 'systems' and processes used to run engineering staff these days. Staff are not given the time, back up, and training to job as well as they ought.

When number seven turns up let them run the tests they are obliged to do THEN tell them what has been going on. It is very common for these broadband repair tasks to come out with no good associated notes or fault history. Then ask that the E and D be swapped out. Ask them to co-op with the DCoE broadband repair team to assist them.

Good luck.

Standard User eckiedoo
(experienced) Sat 18-Jun-16 19:13:45
Print Post

Thank you for your extended answer.

I suggest that we are in greater agreement than you imply.

For one thing, I have not mentioned "ISP" anywhere in connection with the modem's operations, other than clearly identifying what I have, just in case it is known to operate in some other manner, although I think that is extremely unlikely.

----

"If both modems are still switched on then they will immediately go back to negotiating sync."

My "keep-alive" signals, using probably an older terminology.

----

" User data transfer happens inside the packets that are present but empty when no user data is being passed."

Agreed generally, although there will still be the usual Header and Terminator for the Packet.

I have been working with that concept since around 1960, so am very aware of it.

----

"Your #3 is connection to your ISP, and when green shows your credentials have been accepted and a session has been established."

#3 is clearly labelled "Internet" rather than "ISP"; and if my ISP goes down, as far as I am aware I can still go out to other sites - but, of course, I may be wrong.

---

Your analogy with the house electricity supply is slightly confusing.

If it is only the load items in the house which are switched off, then there is the voltage on the ring main, just waiting to connect via an individual switch.

If it is the "Main Switch", then agreed, there is no voltage on the ring main.

------

Regarding the flickering, nowhere did I state or imply that this behaviour indicated that the relevant system system is "OFF".

I did say that the flickering varied as the traffic varied - but did not (intend to) imply that the "black periods" represented No Traffic.

---

I note that effectively we are agreed that some form of "hand-shaking" signalling, one way or t'other, takes place, when a functioning modem is connected to a functioning DSL source.

-----------------------

Acknowledging my ignorance of the absolute specifics of the DSL system, that is why I qualified my original posting, with hoping that someone with absolute definite knowledge would come forward with a definitive, simple, answer.

-----------------

Again my thanks; and I do believe that we are in much greater agreement.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 18-Jun-16 20:58:25
Print Post

In reply to a post by eckiedoo:
Agreed generally, although there will still be the usual Header and Terminator for the Packet.
You seem to have forgotten what I said about those in my previous post.
#3 is clearly labelled "Internet" rather than "ISP"; and if my ISP goes down, as far as I am aware I can still go out to other sites - but, of course, I may be wrong.
Very. I said connected to your ISP, not to their website. You obviously aren't connected to that unless you choose to access it through your browser. If their website goes down, that of itself does not cause you any problems at all except opening it, and perhaps getting to your account.

Nor did I ever suggest it would be labelled ISP. I told you what the light signified.
Your analogy with the house electricity supply is slightly confusing.

If it is only the load items in the house which are switched off, then there is the voltage on the ring main, just waiting to connect via an individual switch.
Traffic on a DSL line equates to current on an electricity supply.
Regarding the flickering, nowhere did I state or imply that this behaviour indicated that the relevant system system is "OFF".

I did say that the flickering varied as the traffic varied - but did not (intend to) imply that the "black periods" represented No Traffic.
To me they read as though you meant precisely that the communication had gone off.

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 18-Jun-16 21:04:10)

Standard User Michael_Chare
(experienced) Sat 18-Jun-16 23:32:23
Print Post

What happens to the phone line if you plug the router in but don't power it up?

Michael Chare
(newbie) Mon 20-Jun-16 07:40:43
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

I'll give it a try.

I think it won't make much difference.

Disconnecting the ADSL connection through the routers screens is enough to make the noise disappear.

I suspect with the modem powered off the voice line will be good.
Standard User babis3g
(regular) Mon 20-Jun-16 09:40:31
Print Post

Only suggestions to your end...perhaps worth to try
If you have the modem near by a tv or speaker or any electric device etc, remove them far, also if you have it at an extension electric socket, plug it direct alone
https://support.zen.co.uk/kb/knowledgebase/broadband...
That may helps to have less noise stress at your situation

Change rj11 cable from phone socket to modem ... even if is sealed or grounded i think may still cause issue by trapping additional noise if the rj11 port at modem is not grounded, so try with an ordinary rj11 cable

i hear a BT 80B RF3 Junction Box works in some cases even if is for different purpose (i think needs to be installed before the master socket & i know you have tried filtered plate but it may makes difference because contains coil so more realistic in your case?) and also try this time 2 filters in line (connect them at the phone indicator)
It will not fix the issue if is from isp /line but it may makes little better the situation

Edited by babis3g (Mon 20-Jun-16 09:42:21)

Standard User Michael_Chare
(experienced) Mon 20-Jun-16 22:14:34
Print Post

If the noise occurs with two different modems/routers only when they have established a DSL connection, then I did wonder whether there is a faulty port at the exchange which generates noise when it is replying to your equipment.

Have you tried asking your ISP to get you connected to a different port?

Michael Chare
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 20-Jun-16 23:04:46
Print Post

Just a possibly daft suggestion. What happens if you replace that shielded cable between the router and filter with a bog standard DSL one? AIUI you introduced the shielded cable whilst the engineer-fixed remote fault was present.

(newbie) Tue 21-Jun-16 07:26:01
Print Post

Well I have eliminated the shielded cable and the Billion 7800N router by plugging in the home hub that BT sent into the test socket using alternative filters and still get the issue.

Its sure got to be something between the house and the exchange.

One engineer "Robert" also rigged things up so the copper pair came straight from the overhead wire through the first floor window to my router and still saw the issue.

So this really takes out the length of cable down the side of the house, the junction box as it comes in the house, the cable to the master socket and the master socket itself.

I guess it would be useful to repeat that test with the home hub BT sent just to absolutely prove the issue is outside my house.

Engineer coming tomorrow - be really great to get "Robert" again as he has been the only one to methodically work from the house to the exchange - none of the others seemed to want to investigate outside my property.
(newbie) Fri 24-Jun-16 18:10:56
Print Post

The engineer that turned up was booked as a "broadband boost green" job so did nothing more that test - decide it was ok - and leave.

At 9 that morning the voice line was as scratchy as ever but by the time the engineer arrived there was nothing to hear.

Next they are going to send a voice engineer and a broadband engineer at the same time.

Again I just hope that they are prepared to venture out of the house and along the cable toward the exchange and investigate the state of the network rather than constantly trying to prove its a customer premises fault.
Standard User B31
(member) Fri 24-Jun-16 22:02:08
Print Post

Have you got a sound recording of the noise?

Play it to them if it's not noisy at the time?

BT ADSL customer getting 1.7 Mbps (0.6 Mbps up) on a new road / new build development
CAB not FTTC enabled, not part of the 66% commercial plan. Not a BDUK area.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 26-Jun-16 10:52:24
Print Post

[re: B31] [link to this post]

I'm sorry, but that is a futile gesture .... Who's to say that the recording is even of the line in question.

Standard User B31
(member) Sun 26-Jun-16 20:18:39
Print Post

I just thought it might help them identify the problem based on the noise, if they've seen (heard!) similar before.

BT ADSL customer getting 1.7 Mbps (0.6 Mbps up) on a new road / new build development
CAB not FTTC enabled, not part of the 66% commercial plan. Not a BDUK area.
(newbie) Tue 28-Jun-16 09:49:17
Print Post

[re: B31] [link to this post]

I made a recording and placed it on youtube.

Not my best work but you can clearly hear the issue in the first minute

I go on to try a different ADSL filter and cable

(Numerous filters, routers and cables have been tried)

ADSL crackle on my voice line despite filters
(newbie) Wed 29-Jun-16 10:45:43
Print Post

Sigh

The problem was bad on Sunday when I made the video and bad on Monday.

Engineers arrives Tuesday and the problem has gone.

He is not interested in seeing my recorded evidence and states the tests are all returning ok - until the problem returns there's not much he can do.
Standard User PaulKirby
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 29-Jun-16 14:59:00
Print Post

In reply to a post by michaeldjcox:
Sigh

The problem was bad on Sunday when I made the video and bad on Monday.

Engineers arrives Tuesday and the problem has gone.

He is not interested in seeing my recorded evidence and states the tests are all returning ok - until the problem returns there's not much he can do.
Welcome to our world tongue
We have had this on and off for the last couple of years, especially after loads of rain and wind.

But >> ours << at the time sounded worse, you could also hear the HomeHub syncing up at 1 min into the recording.

Every time an engineer turned up (conveniently on a dry day) it was fine and no noise, but the engineer did listen to the whole recording, they then flagged it as an intermittent line termination fault that was external, that way we wasn't charged.

Over the last few months several homes on our phone pole and cabinet has had line issues and have had several engineer visits and one visit resulted in the engineer going to the cabinet where she tidied up some of the loose connections, and also did some work at the exchange, this seemed to of also solved our noise on our line.

So if or when you report it, report it as an intermittent fault, that way they know its not always there.

Paul
Standard User eckiedoo
(experienced) Wed 29-Jun-16 16:22:05
Print Post

Crackly noises usually are a mix of almost random frequencies (Fourier Analysis) and generally contain a wide range of frequencies - starting in the low Audio Frequencies and spreading upwards into, for this purpose, the frequencies used by xDSL/Broadband communications, at generally lowering power levels.

------

The ADSL Filter/Dongle/Splitter goes "straight-through" on the MODEM/xDSL socket, so the MODEM sees/hears" everything" arriving at its own input socket.

-------

The Filter is in the PHONE socket path only, and by definition must pass the AF frequencies essential for Speech to be heard and transmitted from the Phone Had-set; and also in this case, the AF frequencies of the crackles.

To put it another way, that filter is not designed to prevent AF (low frequency) signals getting to the phone, so the LF/AF component of the crackle "must get through".

The Filter is an HF REJECT Filter, preventing the xDSL/Modem/HF signals getting to the phone.

-------

I have taken such a Filter apart to confirm the above.

Straight through on the MODEM/XDSL side.

Filter is only in the PHONE side; and its components have very small values, so are associated with HF Rejection, rather than AF Acceptance.

-----

Particularly as you have already tried other filters and cables, the source of the crackle is almost certainly elsewhere.

The filters are relatively simple circuits and very few components, unlikely to develop faults in normal operation.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to