User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User carl9199
(newbie) Sat 21-May-16 17:37:04
Print Post

Bt business vs pules8 broadband

[link to this post]

Im currently with pulse8 for my phone and broadband on the fibre package paying £39 (including VAT)

BT business have a offer for the Infinity premium broadband which would work out at £42 (including VAT) with cashback taken into account. That includes a static IP address, wifi arround the UK, next day fix for folts, and outbound setting for me email for my business which pulse8 don't saport.

The consern for me is they want a 24 month contract, they don't do ipv6 or no what it is. The use off shore call centers for customer service, The saport for broadband is UK and 24/7.

Am I better off staying with Pulse8 on the talktalk business network.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sat 21-May-16 18:05:11
Print Post

Re: Bt business vs pules8 broadband

[re: carl9199] [link to this post]

BT Business use a UK based call centre - or three. Two in Scotland and one in England support is 24/7 and fully 365 days per year - I have called them on Boxing day and many times after midnight.

Next Business Day for faults - and they can be flexible and give you a choice of day/time to attend.

They don't offer IP6 - yet, is that really an issue for you? They do know what it is and it will arrive when they consider it appropriate.

I have been with them for 15 years or more and have no real issues with them Yes faults occur, but they do get resolved even if they are complex and need a lot of time on site.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 21-May-16 18:30:49
Print Post

[re: carl9199] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by carl9199:
Im currently with pulse8 for my phone and broadband on the fibre package paying £39 (including VAT)
and outbound setting for me email for my business which pulse8 don't saport.
That sounds a little odd. How do you send emails then?

It's possible they block port 25 for outgoing mail (SMTP), but nearly all decent mail providers have alternative that are rarely blocked. Port 25 is anyway insecure and unsuitable for business grade mail.

Who provides your email service, and how do you get round the problem? It may be possible to solve it easily.

A static IP address with Pulse8 is a £2pm add-on, just in case you haven't seen that. I don't think they offer IPv6 do they?

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59240/14753kbps @ 600m. - BQM

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 21-May-16 20:19:01
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Port 25 is anyway insecure and unsuitable for business grade mail.

There's nothing insecure about an SMTP relay which accepts mail on port 25, pretty much every mail server that listens on 465 or 587 also listens on 25. Port 587 and 25 can both be explicitly encrypted via STARTTLS (as opposed to port 465 which is encrypted implicitly).

Oliver.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 21-May-16 20:21:33
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

If the server is expecting encrypted input on port 25. Things may have changed since I used 25 by default, but encryption always made it fail to connect.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 21-May-16 20:27:27
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
If the server is expecting encrypted input on port 25. Things may have changed since I used 25 by default, but encryption always made it fail to connect.

Email clients set to "SSL" on port 25 and 587 will issue STARTTLS in order to encrypt an initially unencrypted connection and will fail if the server does not support STARTTLS (e.g. Plusnet's server).

Although implicit encryption is common on port 465, the RFC recommendation is to use STARTTLS on 25 or 587 and that is equally secure.

Oliver.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 21-May-16 22:56:38
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

I'm referring to servers that do support SSL/TLS on their officially encrypted ports, but don't on Port 25. I believe this to be normal, to cater for customers who don't use SSL/TLS. Until recently all email clients I've used or assessed have defaulted to no encryption on Port 25.

Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Sun 22-May-16 05:19:08
Print Post

starttls is accepted on port 25. Its used for server to server communication as well as client communication.

port 465 is used for older style encryption not using starttls.

In outlook 2010 e.g. there is 2 encryption types offered, ssl and tls. What that actually means is that ssl is implicit ssl typically been port 465, and tls is starttls which will work on ports 25 and 587 assuming mail server is configured to expected modern standards.

Sky Fibre Pro BQM - IPv4

Edited by Chrysalis (Sun 22-May-16 05:19:57)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 22-May-16 10:47:29
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

Both of you state an "if", then carry on as though it isn't there. That was my point in the post you just replied to. It depends how the server is configured, and having used several servers none have had encryption enabled on 25.

Simples.

Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 22-May-16 14:54:37
Print Post

Your initial point was that "Port 25 is anyway insecure and unsuitable for business grade mail". I don't agree with this.

If you had said "Port 25 and port 587 without STARTTLS is insecure and unsuitable for business grade mail" then I would have agreed with it.

STARTTLS on port 25 is very common on SMTP servers these days, so I'd be interested to know which servers you use which don't support it (Plusnet I have already noted). Your own provider Tsohost for instance most certainly supports STARTTLS on port 25, as do all the major free email providers.

Oliver.

Edited by Oliver341 (Sun 22-May-16 14:56:24)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to