User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User brightd
(experienced) Mon 06-Jun-16 11:40:52
Print Post

Openreach spam call

[link to this post]

I just had a call from someone with an Indian accent telling me that they were from BT Openreach and that there was a general problem in my area and asking me to test my speed. When I suggested that I doubted the authenticity of her call she hung up. The call came from 00310800800150 which is the Netherlands. Anyone else had such a call? Could it possibly have been genuine? She had my post code.

David

Infinity 2 over FTTP from BTBroadband
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Mon 06-Jun-16 15:41:26
Print Post

Re: Openreach spam call

[re: brightd] [link to this post]

I would say SCAM not spam and almost ceertainy not genuine. Why would BT call every customer in an area when there is a problem? It will cost time and money to make hundreds or thousands of calls. And if you, plus others started running speed tests you would worsen the situation!

The number 00310800800150 contains the BT contact number of 0800800150 so they are possibly hoping that is all you see! If it was a true international call it would probably have have been 0031800800150 ...

It might have been useful to find out which website they were to point you to although not to actually try it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 06-Jun-16 17:52:54
Print Post

Did you notice there was an Openreach engineer at the end of your road all morning too. wink No problems with their service for sure.

As MHC says, surely an attempt at some scam, Openreach aren't 'customer facing' like that, if there was it would be down to the various CP's to inform their customers.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User uno
(knowledge is power) Mon 06-Jun-16 23:21:43
Print Post

In reply to a post by brightd:
Could it possibly have been genuine? She had my post code.

Unlikely.

Postcodes can easily be found for most non-MPF line numbers on public sites. What BT never confirm via number lookup to anyone by the number owner (i.e the CP) is the full address.

Matt

uno Communications
t: 0800 520 0345
Official Maidenhead, Milton Keynes & Sheffield Speedtest.net Host
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Tue 07-Jun-16 09:17:04
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
The number 00310800800150 contains the BT contact number of 0800800150 so they are possibly hoping that is all you see! If it was a true international call it would probably have have been 0031800800150 ...

Perhaps playing on a quirk of the way mobiles lookup numbers in the contact list ... displaying contact name instead of number if the last part of the digits match. This lookup style works when you roam abroad, and are called by one of your contacts, who now appears to be international, not local.

If fixed phones work the same way, and have BTs 0800 number stored in the contacts, it could display that name instead.
  Print Thread

Jump to